Sledgehammer and Tire!!

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
KC 7707

Sledgehammer and Tire!!

Post by KC 7707 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:35 am

Here is a video Ross Enamait has posted on his website that has a good setup for anyone that wants to try hitting a tire with their sledgehammer. There is something really satisfying about actually hitting something with a sledge.

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/sledge2.html

BTW, this guy is the "s#?t" when it comes to hardcore conditioning, he puts out very good products and backs it up with great customer service.

sgtrock

Post by sgtrock » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:03 am

My wife and I destroyed a hard drive doing this. Fun as all hell, but watch out for your shins and beware of small metal fragments flying in your face! :D

I've also torn up the ground doing this.
"It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop." -- Confucius, an early Everyday Systems pioneer

library_guy

Post by library_guy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:09 am

Yeah. Ross is the guy who got me hitting the tire. What an athlete! I've got a semi tire on the rooftop. I use the 8 and 10 over the shoulder and switch sides. I do Tabata intervals with them a couple times a week. It's great for getting the heart rate up and the cool thing is that I feel like I have increased the dexterity of my left side. It's a great change of pace from my shovelglove moves and carrying the sandbag up the stairs. I try to keep everything in the 14 minute time frame.

swimfit

Post by swimfit » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:38 pm

Tabata intervals? Are you a Crossfitter?

library_guy

Post by library_guy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:15 am

No. I’m not a crossfitter, but I do check out the site and have borrowed some ideas. After I saw the movie “300†and found out that the training regimen was basically rebranded crossfit, I was really tempted to go find a crossfit gym. I realized, however, that 6 days a week of super-intense training would ultimately be unsustainable for me. In the past my MO has been yo-yo exercise. I would go to the gym for 2 hours a day for 6 weeks and then just sit on my tail for 6 months. 5 days a week . . . 14 minutes a day . . . It provides me with a solid framework. Within the 14 minutes I can mix it up and add in some Tabata/metabolic conditioning stuff if I want. The useful movements with the hammer are awesome, but Reinhard’s time element truly deserves an award.

Vladimir Sanchez

Sledgehammer and Tire

Post by Vladimir Sanchez » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:56 am

Over the past two months I too have been slinging a sledge like a maniac. I'm a fat guy that weighed 310 when I started my regimen. I have lost 25 lbs, my cardio has improved dramatically, and I notice I am losing most of the weight in the trunk/love handle region. I also have noticed an improvement in my sleep patterns and am dealing with stress/anger management problems much better.
Vladimir Sanchez

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:09 pm

Welcome, Vladimir! And congratulations on your success so far -- both physical and psychological.

Swinging a sledge is better than therapy, ain't it?

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:13 pm

Just occurred to me that I never responded to the original post...

I would LOVE to actually smack things with a sledge. It's just so darn inconvenient in my little condo.

On the plus side, I think "catching" the sledge is actually great exercise.

More here:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=17301

Reinhard