Mutant muscles

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
sgtrock

Mutant muscles

Post by sgtrock » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:56 am

Interesting observation...

I've been on-again/off-again over the past few weeks with SG due to time constraints, and I can feel the gains I had made fading fast. But a couple of weeks back I jumped back into it after not doing it for over a week and decided to go "all out", 52 reps of as many moves as I could do. A typical set looks like this:
  • * Shoveling
    * Fireman
    * Churn Butter (with squats)
    * Chop Wood
    * Drive Fence Posts
    * Tuck Bales (with squats)
    * Flip Lever
    * Perseus Hoist (saw it written in another post, great move!)
I'm not sure which move or moves did it, but before I went to bed I noticed I had mutant trapezius muscles! I'm by no stretch athletic looking, but I suddenly had this massive "peak" in my traps that was never there before, bulging up quite high and seemingly out of proportion to my shoulders and chest.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this? I know the hammer works these muscles a lot, I was just surprised at how much they were worked.
"It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop." -- Confucius, an early Everyday Systems pioneer

david

Post by david » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:16 pm

Yes on the traps. I've been doing lots of fireman the last few months and it seems to be the culprit here for me.

--david

S-Dog

Post by S-Dog » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:11 pm

I have only been shugging for 3 days and noticed that also... but its not the "top" part(where the neck connects to the shoulders), but a bit more on my back... I was shaving in the mirror after my workout and was fascinated.

As a side note I am now finding little muscles that I didnt know existed.

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!

phayze

Post by phayze » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:40 am

I'll have to start using the fireman more frequently. My traps suck. :p
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words