Sorry No-s is taking up all the oxygen lately...

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
reinhard
Site Admin

Sorry No-s is taking up all the oxygen lately...

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:04 pm

They'll get theirs when the shovelglove book comes out :-)

KC 7707

Re: Sorry No-s is taking up all the oxygen lately...

Post by KC 7707 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:35 pm

reinhard wrote:They'll get theirs when the shovelglove book comes out :-)

Does this count as an "official" announcement?

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:18 pm

May I make a request for some "women's work" moves when the shovelglove book comes out. I'm working on a few now, but I'd love to see the ladies historical precident represented.
Heather

jules

Post by jules » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:28 am

Butter churning was largely women's work. :) As was stoking the oven. There's a stronger bent towards people giving militaristic names but a lot of the moves could have something more "feminine".

And I don't think the shovel movement itself need be restricted to my more manly counterparts. Just b/c Reinhard's crazy idea came from male coal shovelers in a French novel doesn't mean women didn't traditionally use shovels in gardens, farms, etc.

Does anyone do a "hoe the garden" move? I think it would be a bit similar to the canoe paddling move I, and many others, do.

jules

p.s. oh yeah, you gonna write a shovelglove book Reinhard?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Sadly, nothing official (or unofficial) to report just yet. Though one way or another, I'm sure it'll happen someday.

Thanks for the "woman's work" tip. There are a few already, and I've tried to keep the "canonical" movements very manual labor oriented (even though military analogies keep creeping in as alternate names and non-canonical moves), but obviously there's plenty of room for improvement (and plenty of untapped historical precedent, I'm sure). Specific ideas very welcome!

Reinhard
Last edited by reinhard on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

storm fox

spilling the beans

Post by storm fox » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:21 am

I've been all Secret Squirrel about it, but I'm working on a zombie-themed Shovelglove workout. I'm such a nerd!

Reinhard, please write a shovelglove book.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:34 pm

Zombies -- awesome!

I would love to write a shovelglove book -- but I need an advance to justify to myself and my family the sleep deprivation I now know from experience that would entail (even more because it would have to have pictures). Depending on how the no-s book does over the next few months (especially January!) maybe I'll be in a position to put a proposal together. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Reinhard