New to Shovelglove...

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
oakdryad

New to Shovelglove...

Post by oakdryad » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:33 pm

Hi all. I'm new to shovelglove. I found out about it through Mistress Krista's website, and fell in love with the "useful movements" and respecting the timer philosophies. I went out and bought a sledgehammer that afternoon. :D I've been telling others all about it, hoping to get some friends into it as well.

I'd been working out with kettlebells, which I also love because it's about dynamic movements of weight through space.

So I'm doing three N-days with KBs and three N-days with SG and taking a day off. 14 minutes max per workout per day. I respect the timer.

I do have a quick question for those of you with more experience. I'm actually doing two rowing type motions...a canoe paddling style and a sculling rowing style...I think it's mostly because I misread some of the posts and since I learn better visually got a bit confused. :? But both movements seem to work out pretty well, and I'm wondering if others do both.

Thanks so much for putting Shovelglove out there.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:23 pm

Welcome, oakdryad! I'm hugely grateful to Mistress Krista for all the new shuggers she's sent my way over the years.

Those of you who aren't familiar with her site should definitely check it out:

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

There have been a bunch of rowing/paddling motions mentioned over the years, but no video yet (want to be the first?? please?)... so I'm not really sure what others are doing (I suspect the former -- the term "canoe" comes up a lot). I personally haven't consistently done either, not because I don't think they're promising (they seem physically and "spiritually" right on), but more because I've got a pretty full and satisfying itinerary of movements already -- not sure what I'd get rid of to make room.

Reinhard

jules

Post by jules » Fri May 02, 2008 1:04 am

I'm not familiar w/ sculling rowing. what is that?

jules

live vintageously

Re: New to Shovelglove...

Post by live vintageously » Tue May 06, 2008 11:07 pm

oakdryad wrote:Hi all. I'm new to shovelglove. I found out about it through Mistress Krista's website, and fell in love with the "useful movements" and respecting the timer philosophies. I went out and bought a sledgehammer that afternoon. :D I've been telling others all about it, hoping to get some friends into it as well.

I'd been working out with kettlebells, which I also love because it's about dynamic movements of weight through space.

So I'm doing three N-days with KBs and three N-days with SG and taking a day off. 14 minutes max per workout per day. I respect the timer.
That's what I'm going to do!! Actually, I don't have a SG yet, but I'm still going to try doing daily kb workouts. Anyway, I'm starting this week.

Glad to see someone else has the same idea :)

Le Mercenaire

Post by Le Mercenaire » Tue May 13, 2008 10:20 am

Jules, here's how I see it.

Paddling (like in a canoe) you stick the paddle in the water straight, in front of you and you pull the "water" along, as close to your body as you can and as far behind as comfortable/possible. You hold the paddle with one hand on the end and the other as close as you can of the "paddle" end.

Sculling (see a man on a gondola) you hold the SG with one hand at the end (but not on the end) and the other would be more in the middle of the shaft. The oar goes in the water far from your body and the whole movement is made more in an arc of circle (as if the oar was fixed on the side of the boat).

Here's how I see it. Hope it's clear enough to understand.
Last edited by Le Mercenaire on Wed May 14, 2008 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bis vincit qui se vincit in victoriam

jules

Post by jules » Tue May 13, 2008 8:32 pm

Merci beaucoup, M. le mercenaire!

Apparently I've been sculling with my shovelglove! Who knew? :shock:

O.k. I'll have to try the canoe paddle grip which is what I thought I was doing. Hmmmm I grew up in Nebraska, prairies, not a lot of opportunities to canoe.... yes, yes, that's my excuse!

And I'm going to have to look up some of Phayze's paddling moves. Back paddling, etc.

jules, canoe impaired