My First SG kettlebell workout

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
live vintageously

My First SG kettlebell workout

Post by live vintageously » Wed May 07, 2008 12:10 am

Today, following the SG principles, I swung, cleaned, pressed, and snatched my way to 14 minutes with only a few breaks (I had to), ending with TGUs, one each side. I feel the effects of my efforts, yet I still have enough energy left to face the day. The 14 minute principle is d'lovely.

So until I get my SG, I will be kb-shugging (don't know what else to call it) 3 days and lifting free weights 3 days. Of course, if I'm time crunched I might do more kb-shugging days and less free weights. Time and schedule will tell.

Ciao!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu May 08, 2008 2:21 pm

Nice! I'm very happy to see someone actually doing this.

My wife now does yoga while I shug most nights -- sort of an absurd contrast, but shows you how flexible and useful a structure focusing on the time rather than the kind of exercise can be.

When your SG arrives, habit-wise it will be no sweat to drop it in instead or in addition to your KBs.

Reinhard

live vintageously

Post by live vintageously » Sat May 10, 2008 12:40 am

Thank you! I'm glad I'm doing something right! I love to try new things and experiment, so using a KB for a SG fits the bill.

Seasonal allergies are waging war and today's KB workout was a casualty. I'm just too drained to do anything for 14 minutes straight today. But I'll definitely pick it up tomorrow. I know I'll feel better after I get a good night's rest with some help from my allergy medication. (It's strange, I've never had problems with SA in the past until this year.)

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Sat May 10, 2008 6:54 pm

reinhard wrote:Nice! ... shows you how flexible and useful a structure focusing on the time rather than the kind of exercise can be./quote]

Interesting about the time. As some of you may know, but for those who don't, a major thrust of one school of KB training, is the idea of building time without putting the KBs back on the ground. (ie; One is either performing the lift or "resting" by holding the KBs.) The competitions that are held for those who train in this manner are scored by most lift repetitions in a 10 minute period.

Kudos Reinhard for independently "discovering" this time based training concept.