20 minute fitness

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
kbits

20 minute fitness

Post by kbits » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:53 pm

Just wanted to mention a site I found personally interesting. It might remind some folk of the ancient 5BX plan.

It's not quite as discrete and self contained as shovelglove (admitedly, these might be issues?) but perhaps it might offer a different perspective to "schedulistically insignificant exercise"?

Heck, you can even do it in 14 minutes if you wish :)

http://fitness-solution.blogspot.com/20 ... ution.html
http://fitness-solution.blogspot.com/

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:59 pm

Joel (the guy who runs this excellent site) is actually a member of the everyday systems bulletin board (check out the links on the right -- I should probably return the favor and link back to him). There are absolutely a lot of compatible (or at least similar) ideas.

Reinhard

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:24 pm

I think Shovelglove is great, and I have shared it with several friends. The training has a lot in common with HeavyHands (which I have also used over the last couple of years) as well some similarities to Kettlebells and Clubbells, as Reinhard mentions on the main site.

I have the Shovelglove page linked on the TMFS blog, and I have been asked before why I don't use Shovelglove movements or routines in the daily workouts. The answer is simple: the TMFS is a (mostly) equipment free program. It is designed to be doable anywhere under (almost) any circumstances. That's not a knock against SG; it's simply a difference between the two approaches. There are a number of sledgehammer, medicine ball, waterball, sandbag, and dumbbell exercises I enjoy and would love to add to the WOD, but the TMFS philosophy linked above determines what we do on the daily workouts. Many people modify the daily workouts to include special equipment such as kettlebells or dumbbells. The same can be done with SG.

I like to think the two are complementary, and I'm grateful to see some others think so too.

Joel