Work Music

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Finnigan

Work Music

Post by Finnigan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:19 pm

I'm sorry to keep hammering the forum with posts, but my memory is a bit sporatic, and some thoughts I had while scouring your site have just come back.

First, I'd like to compliment Reinhard on choosing to model his workout on good old fassioned WORK. I can't tell you how many times I've longed to just do some good old fassioned work. I was a cable TV installer for a year and that was pretty close (lots of up and down ladders.)

Anyway, I noticed a while back that one song in particular would raise a desire in me to do some physical work. Currently my only access to this song is the B side of a 45 phonograph owned by my Grandmother-in-Law. I hope to make an MP3 copy soon.

The song is Patty on the Railway by the Dubliners.

Another song that comes to mind is the opening song on the soundtrack for the film Oh Brother Where Art Thou. The song is literally sang by a chain gang breaking rocks on a road.

I also want to try and get a copy of the song that starts one of Reinhard's radio interviews. I don't know the actual name or artist, but the line "Smoke that Hammer" is prominent in the song.

Sea shanties also come to mind. I think I might start looking around for recordings of sea shanties and work songs to make a play list to shug too (Note: I just ordered my very first MP3 player, so I guess I'm looking to fill it already).

Any other good "Work song" suggestions anyone know of?

spoon

some musical thoughts

Post by spoon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:25 pm

the movements are so evocative of particular mythical american scenarios, it's impossible not to think of chain gangs, sailors, ranchers, etc. i second the sea shanty idea, and would add: celtic music, appalachian folk music, johnny cash, and... led zeppelin.

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:46 pm

Wow! You're right! Just as I read your suggestion of Led Zepelin, the Imagrant Song popped into my head. It's got a good fast driving pace.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:03 pm

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:18 pm

Cool! Thanks!

I found the song at the beginning of the interview. It's titled Walk On Boy and has been recorded by a number of artisis.

phayze

Post by phayze » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:43 am

Old Time American Folk music is a great resource for labor songs. Check out some albums by Doc Watson for some good railroad and coal music. If you're thinking of the interview that I think you're thinking of, then the intro song is called "Walk on Boy", and that's Doc performing it (Hi, I'm Justen, btw - I'm the guy from Healthy Planet Radio).

Some other songs you might like (traditional, unless otherwise noted):

John Henry
9 Pound Hammer
Roll On Buddy
Spike Driver's Blues
The Automation Song (Phil Ochs)
Big Spike Hammer
Dark as a Dungeon (Merle Travis)
Gospel Plow
Reuben's Train

There are loads more, and most of them have a million versions by a thousand singers, so you'll find no lack of variety. ;)

I love the idea of chain gang and slave worker songs - wait . . . that didn't come out right!! You know what I mean. :p

Personally, though, I tend to work out with j-pop and oriental dance music for the driving beats. ;)
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

tomjlowe

Work Music

Post by tomjlowe » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:36 pm

The Anvil Chorus from Il Trovatore is appropriate. It even has sound effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ScPOAON ... re=related

MitchellKing

Music...

Post by MitchellKing » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:38 pm

I went thru my CD Collection and picked out Joe Satriani's "The Extremist"

Guitar Instrumental ... and Moving.
[/b]
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. ...

Laird

Post by Laird » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:11 am

you guys seriously just need to listen to some good, old-fashioned, Heavy Metal.

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:18 pm

Ha ha! Been there, done that. I grew up on heavy metal. Honestly I don't find it that appealing anymore. I do like the occasional Metallica or Maiden song, or even some other more obscure stuff, but not as a regular diet.

Now that you mention it though, I do have some stuff in my CD case that was considered more "Industrial" which kind of fits in with out theme of work. I might have to try listening to some Godflesh when I work out. I have some Skinny Puppy too, but that is a bit dark.

ZTor

Post by ZTor » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:09 pm

Heavy metal is great, and what's even greater, is the sound of 80s hair metal - like Warrant, Slaughter, RATT or David Lee Roth.
But for shovelgloving, I could recommend nothing better than some good ol' AC/DC - my so far favorite shugging companion!

Just don't sing along or you'll get confused with the rep counting.

NyQuil Driver

Post by NyQuil Driver » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:35 pm

For a little bit of the weird the first thing I thought of was Devo covering Working in a Coal Mine.

It's got that pick-axe striking perccusion thing that would keep your shugging in beat.

Haven't tried this yet, I'm planning on starting shugging next week, gots me sledge hammer.
I saved Latin, what did you ever do?

15n@50

My playlist is my s-g timer

Post by 15n@50 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:41 pm

I shovelGlove with my mp3 player and have a 4 song playlist that I use as my timer. It is not exactly 14 minutes long but it is shorter by a timeristically insignificant amount. :-)
It has a good tempo and every song name is a joke (sort of). They are all by The Traveling Wilburys:

Handle With Care
Wilbury Twist
Heading for the Light
End of the Line

ravioli

A few more songs

Post by ravioli » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:41 am

When ever I think of a "working" song, the first thing that ever comes to mind is

"Taking care of business" by BTO ->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9-R9S1m4dA

Another one that popped into my head immediately is

"The Workers Song" by the Dropkick Murphys. ->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4KMrc3eNdo

You mentioned the Dubliners and I think that sparked the Murphys in my mind.

DC++

Post by DC++ » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:24 am

I have been listening to Xavier Rudd, specifically his Food in the Belly album. His songs are meaningful and have a great steady rhythm.

CriticalMass

Post by CriticalMass » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:14 pm

My current favorite in my workout rotation (only for those who have an ear for electronica)

Daft Punk's - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzV2s58P1rU