Getting the legs involved.

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Finnigan

Getting the legs involved.

Post by Finnigan » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:03 pm

When I was taking Tai Chi the "form" was taught movement by movement. We were taught to be very mindful of performing the movement in a particular manner. In fact it was one of the reasons Tai Chi is performed slowly. I was told the idea is this helps build up a muscle memory so that IF you need to defend yourself, your muscles can perform the motions without thought, because you have trained them through the motion.

Anyway, most of the motions in Tai Chi involved distributing and moving your weight in a certain way upon your legs. Now that my knee is feeling somewhat better, I notice I am moving my weight across my legs as part of some of the SG movements. For example, let's take shoveling.

As the movement starts you draw the SG back getting ready to scoop up some coal. I noticed that I had also shifted my weight back to about 70% on my rear leg and 30% on the front. As I scooped forward I also shifted my weight on my legs forward to about 70% on my front leg, 30% on the back. Then as I lifted the coal to toss over my shoulder, my weight shifted back as the SG came up, and I was ready to drop the SG down to begin the scoop motion again.

I noticed this happening when driving posts as well.

I just wanted to note that it was happening, and my understanding from Tai Chi is this is very good exercise for the legs and for balance.

In some circumstances in Tai Chi you actually would shift to 100% on one leg or the other and either you would take the other foot off the ground all together, or just let your toe touch which helps with balance a bit. I'm considering trying 100% weight on one leg in the more static exercises like Flipping the lever, hoist the sack, and maybe tuck bails. I'll let you know how it goes.

Has anyone else tried this or noticed and concentrated upon this?
Last edited by Finnigan on Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morganalefay

Post by morganalefay » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:55 pm

No, but I will be now I've read your post, with your wonderfully thorough analysis. Thanks for that. I've always wanted to try T'ai Chi.
It's vital to know exactly how ridiculous you are.

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:08 pm

I really miss Tai Chi. I learned the Yang style Short Form which took about 20-30 minutes to complete. My problem was motivation. I wouldn't practice at home. Later, financial concerns kept me from class altogether. I hope to take it up again in the future.

PS. if you try exercises on one leg do NOT lock your knee. You are supposed to keep your knee slightly bent. I grabbed my hammer shortly after posting earlier and gave the levers and sacks a quick try. I really liked it. The exercise wasn't any harder, but I could feel more muscles in my core working to keep me balanced on the one leg.

Edit: Oh, and I tried tuck bails as well, and I really think that if an exercise involves 2 hands, it should involve 2 legs. It just didn't feel right on one leg.

phayze

Post by phayze » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:57 am

Interesting idea! I'll have to give this one-legged thing a try next time I'm doing something unilateral. Thanks for sharing!

I like to include the legs by really driving the movements through my hips, if that makes any sense. It's a trick I learned studying Aikido, though I think the technique is used in pretty much every fighting style.

I think in terms of generating power for the move at my feet, then the core muscles translate the force into upper body and the arms control the details. Shoveling is a good example, because you could think of really driving the blade of the shovel into the ground from your back leg, and then force it up with your front leg.

Like so many things in life, it's easier to do than to explain . . . .
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

david

Post by david » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:27 pm

deleted--I'll cover this in more detail on a separate thread.

--david
Last edited by david on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:34 pm

Finnigan,

I haven't consciously made an effort to engage the legs, but I have noticed that they naturally, unconsciously are engaged with many of the movements, particularly the twisty onces like drive fence posts, the fireman, chop tree.

Now that I no longer climb 8 flights of stairs to get to my office, I usually also throw in a set of (hindu?) squats.

David,

That's great to hear. Thank you for letting us know!

(Some context: I think David's post was in response to this thread here:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3783

)

Reinhard

navi

Post by navi » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:38 pm

I find that hindu squats are the perfect addition to my shovelglove workout - they work the glutes & legs like nothing else. I do a rep of 5 squats between each shovelglove movement - my arms and shoulders burn way too much (I am strong but have shoulder/neck issues & can't sustain) if i do all the SG moves in a row, this lets me keep up the momentum while giving my shoulders a break.....I also have knee issues, but if I do the squats with perfect form it is all in the legs, and seems to be making my knees stronger.

fungus

Post by fungus » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:54 am

Does SG work the legs?

Wait until you have a sore leg and try it...the pain will tell you.

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:27 pm

Reinhard, yes, I noticed it was happening myself and I was glad of it. I was just wondering if other people noticed, and if it wasn't happening when they made certian movements, they should try to make it happen and understand the benefits of getting the legs involved. SG really is a total body workout.

Phayze, I agree that the hips can, and should drive some of the movements, and learning it in Aikido would make sense. In Tai Chi we were taught that the power from any movement is generated in the root (legs connection to the ground, and hip and waist movement) and expressed through the arms and hands. It's like cracking a whip. A gesture of the hand travels from the base of the whip all the way down to the business end. The same use should be made of your body in Tai Chi, and I think it translates well to some of the movements in SG.

PS. I like the idea of the hindu squats, but I think I need to wait until my knee recouperates a bit. It was on the mend. but it's started bothering me more today.

chentegt

Post by chentegt » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:35 pm

Usually I add some squats after I finish every round of the "circuits". 20 reps.

But most of the time I jump rope for 10-15 minutes after the shovelglove session and I get lots of leg action.