Macebell?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Finnigan

Macebell?

Post by Finnigan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:35 pm

Has anyone ever used one of these? I saw some limited discussion of them here, and some videos of their use on youtube. Some of it looks like it would be right up our alley, but looking at a site that sells a macebell I saw a statement to the effect that "A macebell can be used to do sledgehammer routines, but a sledgehammer can NOT be used to do macebell routines." They mentioned something about the macebell being longer. I was wondering if there is an actual practical reason for this, or if it is just marketing?

Anyone know?

Edit: Here is the link for reference: http://www.scientificwrestling.com/products/item34.cfm

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:01 pm

Well, I added the mace swing to my SG routine yesterday. It was tough on the arms and I could feel it in my abs, but I liked it. Maybe using a 12 pound sledge is not as strenuous as a 10 kg macebell which is heavier and longer, but it was still some exercise.

Looking further into the macebell exercises I found another movement I'm going to try today. It's called the Excalibur Pull or something like that. Basically it's like pulling a sword up out of a stone by the hilt. It's almost like hoist the sack, but in front of your body. Your thumb is towards the floor rather than twards the ceiling like in churn butter, and it is a one handed lift.

Here it is being done with a macebell. http://www.macebell.com/video/video/sho ... deo%3A4569

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:52 pm

Thanks for the link! Lots of good moves to borrow...

It looks like you'd get a great workout with the mace bell, but I just vastly prefer the idea of using an actual tool rather than some contrived exercise device. I'm sure you CAN do all the same moves with both. But the different lengths will make some more efficient than others (and it'll work both ways). Tom me, the slight physiological benefit using the longer macebell for some movements just doesn't outweigh the psychological appeal of the sledge. And the remember that the longer your device is, the more space you need, the more careful you be about clobbering people/pets/furniture around you. I find a sledge quite long enough in that regard!

Historical aside: actual combat maces tended to be closer in length to sledgehammers than these things. And the warhammer was a respectable weapon in its own right.

Reinhard

morganalefay

Post by morganalefay » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:30 pm

That's an amusingly scary-looking piece of kit. I like the look of the sword-pulling thing. I'm going to try that with my hammer, which I am rapidly becoming very attached to (my dumbbells aren't exactly gathering dust, but they're not coming out to play as often as the hammer). With you on the not bashing into things; when I SG in the living room I have to mind the light fitting. I try and do it in the garden as often as possible.
It's vital to know exactly how ridiculous you are.

fungus

Post by fungus » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:33 pm

Hey, that's my "Hindu Workout" video on that page...!