Things I have learned already

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Meg

Things I have learned already

Post by Meg » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:53 am

I am just starting to shovelglove. Essential lessons thus far include the following:

1. If you take your three-year old to the hardware store to buy a sledgehammer, he will tell everyone you know that you bought a sledgehammer to do exercises. Hard choice: act like you have no idea WHAT he is talking about or 'fess up to all casual acquaintances...

2. Pay CLOSE attention to form. Otherwise, 'tuck the bales' is very likely to turn into 'clock yourself in the head'.

3. No churning the butter under ceiling fans.

4. All shovelgloving is best done when small children are sleeping.

I am having fun and hoping for muscles soonish...

angelka71

Post by angelka71 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:59 am

Hilarious! Thanks for sharing!

botulf2000

Re: Things I have learned already

Post by botulf2000 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:41 am

Meg wrote:
2. Pay CLOSE attention to form. Otherwise, 'tuck the bales' is very likely to turn into 'clock yourself in the head'.
This is something I learned quickly as well. For me, it was churn butter and ... well, it's a bit embarassing, but let's just call it "not my head".

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:23 pm

I've never tucked bales into my head, but I have churned butter into my chin -- not quite as bad, but not fun either :-)

I'm with you on point 4. Cats are one thing, but no amount of sweaters are going to keep you out of the pediatric emergency room if curious toddlers are poking around.

Reinhard

Meg

Feeling good...

Post by Meg » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:23 pm

I'm enjoying these 14 minutes. Satisfying, too, are the little aches broadcast by recently discovered muscles.

Probably in my head, but my body seems to look different already.

Thanks, Reinhard, for all the video. Shoveling didn't seem to be doing much for my abs. When I went back and took another look, I discovered that I was shoveling to the wrong side.