On the way to Home Depot!

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
adamyo

On the way to Home Depot!

Post by adamyo » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:15 pm

Reading all your posts, I'm inspired. Lets get it going. Two questions:
I live in an apartment - have to do this inside....I have pretty high ceilings, but hope I don't destroy anything. Okay, that isn't a question - just an observation!
QUESTION - with regard to Home Depot, I guess I want a 12 pounder to start with, any particular models of hammers recommended? Might I wrap the hammer with foam or something else other than a sweater?

david

Post by david » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:34 pm

I should think anything from Home Depot would work. Try a few moves with each hammer before you buy. Wrap the hammer with whatever you want or don't wrap it at all--your choice.

Above all, take it slowly and safely.

Good luck!

--david

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:38 pm

Welcome!

I do it inside, too. High ceilings are very helpful for some moves :-)

As far as I can see, sledges are all more or less the same. Some people have strong feelings regarding hickory handles vs. fiberglass, but I've done both and honestly, except for the aesthetics, it doesn't make much of a difference.

People have used many other things beside sweaters for the "glove," some rather amusing:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2428

Reinhard

navi

Post by navi » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:04 pm

i go with the naked shovelglove - don't wrap with anything. so far (4 months) have not hit anything. my thinking is, if you hit a wall with a sledgehammer or a sledgehammer wrapped in a sweater, you are doing damage either way! seriously, I do the exercises in full control, & have not come close to hitting anything yet. added bonus: i like the manliness aspect of the naked SG (even though i am a decidedly un-manly chick), & it will stand up on its own in the corner, making a fine conversation piece....I also do my SGing in the spirit of the original olympians (naked), but that is another story........

Old Juicy

Post by Old Juicy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:58 am

My shoglo stands even after it's wrapped in a sweater (so maybe it's not thick enough...).

I think the sweater is a helpful bit of protection, actually. It's not going to take away 100% of the damage a missed strike causes, but it does add in a margin for error, and everybody has an old ugly sweater, right?

I think a sweater can be tied on very tightly, and that foam is overkill (and perhaps less secure). You can always put two sweaters on there!

My problem is that my Home Depot only had 8 pound sledges. I went ahead and got one, but I wish I had bought a 12 pound. I'll be taking this one back and trying Lowe's.