Manual labor...

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Meg

Manual labor...

Post by Meg » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:11 am

My enthusiasm for shovelglove continues, and the habit is getting stronger. (Seems to require a little more mental effort than NOS. Maybe because I only get to practice once a day, versus thrice with NOS? But I digress...)

Anyhow, I got to thinking about my (now retired) Dad and remembered the following. Sounds remarkably like Reinhard's workout...

My dad worked in the steel mills to put himself through grad school when I was little. More specifically, he shoveled bricks out of furnaces that had collapsed. Apparently, the pay was terrific. The work was hot and grueling, though. For every 15 minutes he shoveled, he got a 15 minute break. He's 6'2'' and, according to my mom, he weighed about 165 in those days.

In pictures, he looks leaner and more fit than anyone I've seen in the past two decades or thereabouts.

david

Post by david » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:34 pm

cool story.

--david