Curl bar an alternative?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
JackHacket

Curl bar an alternative?

Post by JackHacket » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Hi.

I've now been doing a somewhat modified version of Shovelglove for a full week, but I'm using a 14 pound curl bar instead of a sledge as I didn't want to buy one before finding out if I'd really enjoy shugging and stick with it.

Now that I'm pretty sure I will do this regularly, I'm wondering if using the curl bar is actually a drawback. While it's quite heavy it seems the worst muscle soreness has passed by now. It's certainly bound to handle very differently since its centre of gravity is central compared to the excentric sledge. While it's nowhere as realistic a shovel simulation as the sledge, it's still fun to use and I can visualize the real-world activities well enough. Also, once I get stronger, it'll be a breeze to upgrade the bar with plates (currently, I'm using it blank).

Well, what's the veterans' verdict? Can / should I stick with the curl bar? What would the advantages of an actual sledge be?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:39 pm

I think as long as you're happy with it, there's no reason to change.

You're clearly getting a great (and enjoyable) workout -- why mess with something that works? The weight distribution is a detail compared to that.

What I'd recommend is next time you happen to come across a sledge in a hardware store or wherever, pick it up and see how it feels. If you think it'll make the movements more fun -- go ahead and splurge. It's not a lot of money. If not, skip it.

Reinhard

JackHacket

Post by JackHacket » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:03 pm

Thanks, Reinhard. That's pretty much how I'd reasoned myself. I'll post my impressions once I've had a chance to compared with a sledge.

twa2w

Post by twa2w » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:43 am

You can do some moves with a heavy bar that are difficult to do with a sledge. As i noted in some other thread, I use an old barbell bar cut down to about 4 feet in a kayaking motion. i stand with feet farily wide apart and semi lunge from sie to side as I kayak. if yu go fast it can wind you awfull fast. i use ths one for tabata protocols sometimes. 20 seconds all out, 10 seconds rest - repeat 6 - 8 times, throwup.

Cheers
john