Force = mass x acceleration

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Midwestern Ranger

Force = mass x acceleration

Post by Midwestern Ranger » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:24 am

Newton gave us this handy little equation, and while messing around with a non-canon shovelglove move I learned to respect it.

Essentially, I went to a secluded part of a local park early one morning last week to shugg and to add in some overhead swings against the trunk of a fallen tree. To warm up I passed the hammer around my body so that it was making a 360 degree circle around me. A minute later irrational exuberance got the best of me and I was doing somewhere close to 100 rpm with the hammer (note: I was near a drop off to a steep ravine and facing towards the only possible approach to watch for others) one of my passes from one hand to the other was pretty bad and ended up zinging my back from the shearing force of the hammer moving so fast.

After a trip to the chiro and a week off from shugging I'm fine. Damn good reminder to respect the hammer and have complete control of it at all times even if you are somewhere you can conceivably let it fly. :oops:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:16 pm

Sledges are used to break up concrete and bust down walls..
These aren't tinkertoys :)
Sorry you got hurt!
I hope you heal up soon!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:11 pm

Yes, remember your Newton lest you qualify for the Darwin awards! :-)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,

Reinhard

Midwestern Ranger

Post by Midwestern Ranger » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:56 pm

Thanks guys, doing good now. The centrifugal forces of the rotation draw the hammerhead away from me so there was no real danger of hitting myself with it. But there was so much force in the move that a bad grip on the handle jerked my back, which has enjoyed a few other zings in the past. So yeah, bonking yourself with the head or handle isn't the only stupid thing a person can do. Thought I'd share for the benefit of other mad scientist shuggers.

phayze

Post by phayze » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:21 am

From one "mad scientist shugger" to another: Duly noted!

Glad you're feeling better now!
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

Neptunus

Post by Neptunus » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:37 pm

Midwestern Ranger wrote:Thanks guys, doing good now. The centrifugal forces <snip>
That reminded me of this highly relevant comic strip.
- Your friendly neighborhood vegan, proud shovelglover!

morganalefay

Post by morganalefay » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:22 am

Genius. :lol:
It's vital to know exactly how ridiculous you are.