Questions from an outsider...

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
sherlock

Questions from an outsider...

Post by sherlock » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:03 pm

I am not a -- I hope this is the right term -- shovelglover. At least not yet.

But I am looking for a new program that I can do from home. From the looks of it, shovelglove will give me functional strength. That is very important.

But I am also a man. I don't want to look like a bodybuilder, but I do want to look good when I go to the beach, you know? I am fairly skinny right now, and next year I am going on vacation with a few friends of mine. They are in good shape, so I'd like to not look like a broomstick standing next to them by the pool.

So I ask veteran shovelglovers: will this program give me the results I am hoping for, provided I stick with it? If anyone would like to share their own results with me, I would appreciate that as well.

(*Note: I am sure success stories can be found using the search function on this board, but I don't have the patience to browse success stories. :D )

Thanks in advance!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:42 pm

Welcome, Sherlock!

I haven't updated this page in a while, but it's still not a bad place to start:

http://shovelglove.com/testimonials

You can see my personal results (plus no-s, though fat doesn't seem to be your problem) here:

http://nosdiet.com/beforeafter.html

(2008 will be up shortly)

Reinhard

sherlock

Post by sherlock » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:21 pm

reinhard wrote:Welcome, Sherlock!

I haven't updated this page in a while, but it's still not a bad place to start:

http://shovelglove.com/testimonials

You can see my personal results (plus no-s, though fat doesn't seem to be your problem) here:

http://nosdiet.com/beforeafter.html

(2008 will be up shortly)

Reinhard
If I end up looking even half as good as you do, I'll be perfectly happy. Wow!

Anyway, even though there haven't been any other responses here, I decided to dive into shugging (am I saying that right?) right away. I used to have a gym membership, but I hated going so much that I was at best an infrequent visitor. I also used to do some home-based things (bodyweight stuff, dumbbell stuff) but it was only slightly more fun than actually going to the gym.

But this is an interesting idea. I enjoy the idea of using the movements that used to make humans strong to build my own strength. Thank you, Reinhard. I haven't been this excited about exercise ... well, ever.

Anyway, today I began my habit. I started with ten minutes, which I figure is a good number for at least my first week or two. Mostly I was just experimenting with the basic movements and watching my form. But it was a good (and fun) ten minutes. I can't wait for tomorrow.

la_loser

welcome!

Post by la_loser » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:44 am

Sherlock,

Welcome to the boards! Although I spend more time on the No S Boards, I do my share of shugging too. It's a perfect way to work out those muscles and it seems so natural.

If you haven't done so, be sure to check out Reinhard's podcasts too. Several deal with shovelgloving. You can either read the text or play the podcast through your computer or download them. I downloaded all the podcasts free from iTunes and listen to them on my iPod--over and over. They are short and very low tech; you can hear Reinhard's kids/cats in the background sometimes. But it's nice to hear his reassuring calm voice explain all this stuff.

Just be careful in the beginning not to overdo it; sometimes it doesn't really feel too strenuous then you really feel it the next day!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Shovel4life

Post by Shovel4life » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:35 am

Welcome Sherlock,

I'll try to share with you my experiences after 6 months of shovelgloving and the first thing is that ive never stuck with a program for so long in my life so thats probably the best thing right there. Its easy, convenient, and takes so little time how could you not?

Anyway i started with an 8 lber and thought that was heavy to me in the beginning but after 5 weeks it felt like a toy in my hand. I could also see veins in my biceps by then as well. I moved up to a 16 lber because my only other option was 10 and i felt that was too light. So now another 5 months later, im almost not working up a heavy sweat with this either while in the beginning i could barely lift it and had to decrease my number of reps by like half. ill start looking for a 20 lber after the new year.

The biggest proof that this works though is when im helping a buddy move like last weekend. Lifting appliances up and down stairs was a breeze while my friend was huffing and puffing on his end the whole time, and no soreness for me the next day while he was laid up.

As far as how your body will look by doing this, i guess everybody is different. It looks like Reinhard was an average build before and now he's cut. I have a big body type but i was overweight and with a combination of shovelglove, the No S diet, and walking/running an hour a day im down 45 lbs.

I had my gf take a "before" picture on the day i started but since then we've broken up, but i'll try to get another one up just so you can see the difference it's made in my arms, neck, shoulders and back. Like i said every body type is different but if you stick with this by summer you'll be all set for your trip. Good Luck!

jsdadx2

Post by jsdadx2 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:20 pm

Here is a websight that you can find a 20 lbs hammer---you can also find hammers that are much bigger.

http://www.torqueathletic.com/ts1/produ ... rod=MA04-1

dai479

Man!! That 150 pound war hammer is insane!

Post by dai479 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:38 pm

Man!! That 150 pound war hammer is insane!

I want one!!! :D

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:05 pm

These bigger "exercise" hammers can get quite pricey... and honestly, I have trouble imagining what kind of Hulk could actually do useful exercise with hammers much over 20 pounds (and no trouble imagining horrific injuries). I've been on 20 for a few years now, and I'm not sure I'll ever need another upgrade.

Still, it's nice to know they exist, just in case.

Reinhard[/i]