We want to see you naked.

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
ezuk

We want to see you naked.

Post by ezuk » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:17 am

(I hope this doesn't get filtered! :) )

Okay, so now that I have your attention:

A friend of mine and myself have both got sledgehammers and are about to begin.

However, my friend raises an interesting question: Reinhard seems to be the only guy who ever posted before and during pictures.

They are very impressive (and are one of the main reasons why I decided to pick this up), but I am curious:

Are there any other long-term shuggers here willing to share before and during photos?

No faces have to be in the photos, and of course you don't actually have to be naked. :) It would help, though, if (guys only) are willing to show a picture without a shirt on.

I know shovelgloving is not bodybuilding and I don't except to see ripped six-packs. I understand that -- but I do think there should be some visible improvement after keeping up with the program for a while (as Reinhard's pictures markedly show).

Of course, you're very welcome to send me the links as a private message if you're not interested in posting them publicly.

Anyone?

edit: And just in case anyone is interested, I'm willing to post my own "before" picture now, and another "during" picture in 2 months and in 6 months, right here in this thread.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:00 pm

There have actually been some pictures posted over the years, in various (but not total) states of undress.

Just did some poking around and found this, but alas, the pictures seem to have been removed from flickr.

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3961

Will poke some more later if we don't get any volunteers...

Reinhard

ezuk

Post by ezuk » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:03 pm

reinhard wrote:There have actually been some pictures posted over the years, in various (but not total) states of undress.

Just did some poking around and found this, but alas, the pictures seem to have been removed from flickr.

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3961

Will poke some more later if we don't get any volunteers...

Reinhard
Thanks Reinhard!

I really appreciate your spirit and active interest. :)

Today was my first day!

oolala53

another view

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:31 pm

Tom Venuto, a champion bodybuilder, said he once went for a year without doing any abdominal exerices, and still had great abs. You may think it was because he already built them up, but he swears that shedding the fat on top of the muscles is what makes the look impressive. If you look at the anatomy of those muscles, you'll see they do have a basic ripple to them. This is not to say that shugging won't help, but I think it benefits a lot more than the abs (you definitely feel them working!), not the least of which is that it demands coordination throughout the body, which is actually functional in itself.

That being said, I would be happy to see before-and-after pics of shirtless guys up here anytime! :wink:
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:02 pm

I remember that the poster Kayvan had some very impressive pix of before and during SG.
Not sure where they are here.
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:07 pm

Okay I found the pic.
It's on the first page of Kayvan's thread here, somewhere near the bottom of the page.
This is him after a year of doing SG..
You can see he's fit and has good muscle definition.

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1525

ezuk

Post by ezuk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:17 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:Okay I found the pic.
It's on the first page of Kayvan's thread here, somewhere near the bottom of the page.
This is him after a year of doing SG..
You can see he's fit and has good muscle definition.

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1525
Yes, I saw that one before I posted my original message. But it's only "during", no "before".

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:42 pm

Why does the before pic matter so much?
Just curious.

ezuk

Post by ezuk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:51 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:Why does the before pic matter so much?
Just curious.
That's the whole point in an exercise regimen, to me: The way it changes your body.

A single picture taken after a year gives me no clue.

If I had a picture 1 month after starting and 1 year after starting, that would be good too. I'm trying to get a sense of the change people undergo.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:28 pm

Well, I guess if you look at his posts, you can kind of mentally fill in that gap.
Long term commitment to SG definitely changed his body.
After a year of doing Shovelglove, he lost 25 lbs and went from a 27 percent body fat measurement at the doctors office, to 17 percent..
That's pretty impressive.
As well, he went from only being able to do 8 pushups and being very tired, to 25 slow full pushups, with no problem, within a month or so.
And he was using a 10 lb hammer.
Again, really impressive.
But I understand how motivating it can be to see a "before and during".