From heavy shovelglove to a lighter

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
botulf2000

From heavy shovelglove to a lighter

Post by botulf2000 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Just thought I'd share some things I've noticed when going from a heavy SG to a (much) lighter model.

It feels like the lighter model is a harder workout on the core (stomach and back). Not so that it feels like I'm about to hurt myself, just a more intense workout.

The heavier SG was harder on the arms (both biceps/triceps and forearms).

The lighter SG is better for working up a sweat. I guess it's because I'm able to swing faster.

Well, that's what I noticed after the first week with a lighter SG.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:16 pm

hmmm, that's very interesting. Seems to make sense too. It sounds as if maybe there may be some benefits from alternating SG's.
--- Stephen ---
My No S Diet Progress
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:22 pm

It feels like the lighter model is a harder workout on the core (stomach and back)... The heavier SG was harder on the arms (both biceps/triceps and forearms).
I've noticed this as well (I often still use my original 12 pounder on "freestyle fridays.")

Reinhard

botulf2000

Post by botulf2000 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:13 pm

My theory is that with a heavy hammer the movements are more lifting than swinging. Even when doing moves that go from side to side, with the heavier hammer it's more turning than swinging. When swinging, the increased speed makes the core work harder at starting the swing and at stopping the swing. So the start/stop-motion could be harder even if the weight is light.

phayze

Post by phayze » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:11 am

I've noticed this, too, and though I haven't used it in a while I keep a 6# in reserve for this very reason.

I find that I can really go for speed with a lighter hammer, which is great for that "high intensity interval thing" (HIIT) that all the cool kids are talking about these days.
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

tripitaka888

Post by tripitaka888 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:39 am

An alternative to going to a lighter SH is a line I like from the (UNDERRATED!) "13th Warrior" with Antonio Banderas [as Ahmad] ...

[Ahmahd is given a heavy Viking sword]

Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan: I cannot lift this.

Herger the Joyous: Grow stronger.

I remember when [as a desk bound pencil pusher] I started on the 16lb SH it was like a lump of lead. It is still of course a lump of lead, but no where near like what it was when I started.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:34 pm

An alternative to going to a lighter SH is a line I like from the (UNDERRATED!) "13th Warrior"
I love it :-)

Slower rep sets help, I think also, with a heavy hammer.

The faster, less sloppy movements you can do when you're just doing a few at a time seem to hit the "core" harder (I hedge my bets and to 2 high rep days, 2 low rep, and 1 "freestyle").

Reinhard

tripitaka888

Grow stronger!

Post by tripitaka888 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:25 pm

13th Warrior line is from 9:30mins onward

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09nGEHTs ... 02&index=2

and humourous followup [with some hammerwork to boot!]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkTxBCxK ... 02&index=7