anyone else have this problem?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
jules

anyone else have this problem?

Post by jules » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:49 pm

The problem is being unable to do shovelglove due to sickness? argh! My back started hurting Wed. -- luckily after my shovelglove session and absolutely unrelated to shovelglove -- so I had to take Thurs. & Fri. off.

Boo hoo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

I should be back to normal by Monday. I sure as heck hope so. Nothing makes me feel as good as getting my 14 min. in.

jules

DC++

Post by DC++ » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:49 pm

I have missed shugging sessions due to injury, and while it can be frustrating I think you are doing the right thing by taking a complete rest for a few days. There is nothing to gain by working through an injury and making it worse.

Depends on the injury though. My knee plays up from time to time. When it does I leave out squats but do a normal upper body shugging routine. Hard to see how you could leave the back out of a workout though so complete rest sounds best while there is any inflammation and pain.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:22 am

Most definitely do not train a muscle group when it is injured. That will simply prevent recovery and possibly worsen the degree of the injury. I've hurt my back very badly a few times over the years and once or twice I jumped back into training (usually deadlifting or squats) too early and it totalled it much worse than the initial injury. Luckily my only total collapse was a deadlift when both erector muscles (columns on each side of the spine) gave out and not a squat or I could have been crushed by the weight itself coming down. My wife thought I was having a heart attack it was that painful my reaction and collapse.

For the first few days of injury it's best to do nothing but rest until the spasms stop. Then a few days of zen liniment and icing helps. Then you can slowly start to massage and stretch it out and get back into basic movements. Recovery properly please for your own sake.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:11 pm

It's frustrating, but do restrain yourself. It's not worth the risk of further injury.

I myself, the great guru, took a shovelglove "sick" day recently because of some cooking heroics with a cast iron le crueset pot that tweaked my wrist.

Reinhard

DC++

Post by DC++ » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:04 am

Reminds me of the time I decided that flipping pancakes with my cast iron pan was a good idea!

And I won't mention the time I juggled tennis balls filled with lead shot :oops: