Gaining weight on No S Diet and Shovelglove ?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
holymadness83

Gaining weight on No S Diet and Shovelglove ?

Post by holymadness83 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:16 pm

Hello,

I'm a long-time hammer trainer. About two years ago, I bought a 20 lb sledge and got a huge tire to beat with it. When I discovered Shovelglove two weeks ago, it seemed a good extension of my existing workout.

I've done shovelglove for two weeks now, and I think I've put on 3-5 pounds. I've been coupling this with No S (didn't know which forum to post under really).

The first thing I noticed is that Shovelglove has been an EXCELLENT toning exercise with a 20lb hammer. I'm quite sore by the end of the week, if not after the 2nd day. My heart rate gets moderately elevated, and my breathing increases, but I wouldn't say I was breathing hard after 14 minutes are over.

I was expecting to lose a few after this time. Is it possible that doing shovelglove with this big of a hammer is equivalent to weight lifting? Am I just putting on some more muscle? Certainly, I get the same feeling as when I go do a weight routine at the gym.

Anyway, I'm going to continue and see what happens. I'm also doing the 100 pushup and 200 squat competition.

My starting weight was about 263, and I'm up to 271, but I figure a lot of that is just my regularity and water. It would be freakish to put on 11 pounds of "real" weight in two weeks.

thanks!

Huffdogg

Post by Huffdogg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:12 pm

If you're doing Shovelglove with a 20 lb sledge, you're almost certainly putting on muscle weight.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

holymadness83

Post by holymadness83 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I really hope that's the case. I've gotten into that old trap in the past whereby every extra pound I saw on the scale I called muscle. Long story short, I got over 300 lbs and in terrible shape.

We'll find out though. I'm looking for a heavier hammer, but I don't think I'll have any luck with it.

When working out with the tire, I affixed arm and ankle weights to the hammer head and got it up to 35 lbs. I pulled both my shoulders and several muscles in my back doing that and eventually went back tot he 20lber.

chiangmaiboss

Post by chiangmaiboss » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:33 am

Speaking for myself, I find that shovelglove is not effective for me in losing weight. Most authorities say you should elevate your heart rate at least 60 per cent for 20-30 minutes. Doing shovelglove for 14 minutes does not do this for me. Sometimes I do it for over 40 minutes and still does not really make my heart rate faster, although your hammer is heavier than mine so I am sure that makes a difference. I have to do aerobic exercise at least 40 minutes a day, 6 days a week in order to lose weight. I have gone from 242-200 but it took about 8 months. However I do not really diet, which is why I need so much exercise. Shovelglove for me is a supplement to my regular exercise routine. It is fun and I have found it will make you stronger and give you more muscular endurance and I continue to make it part of my daily life.
Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sawan, Thailand

holymadness83

Post by holymadness83 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:48 pm

I was afraid someone would start talking about cardio!

Thanks for the advice Chiang!

Huffdogg

Post by Huffdogg » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:14 pm

Agreed. If anything, hm83, you should downgrade to a lower weight hammer and maintain your routine for a longer period of time. Chiang' is totally correct in that you need to maintain an elevated heart rate for weight loss. While any sort of movement for an extended period of time is technically "elevating" it, the best results will come from a steady, sustainable pace of activity, like walking, running, or some form of the dreaded "Cardio" workout lol.

Personally, I've used the Wii Fit, which has a tracking system built into it that will weigh you daily and track your workout habits, etc. It has an activity that allows you to just go for timed sessions of step aerobics in front of the TV, where you can change the channel and be watching the tube and still getting exercise. Using just that for an hour or so 4-6 days a week + shovelglove got me from 250 to 220 in 100 days.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

holymadness83

Post by holymadness83 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:34 pm

I've read a lot of stuff about building muscle in order to lose weight. I was hoping to sneak by on that.

So, Cardio for people who hate Cardio? I think I'd break a Wii fit, although they did look awesome. Running pulverizes my knees sadly, and I just can't stand to do it.

Oh well, I'll figure something out I guess. I go to a karate class twice a week. Maybe I can just practice more at home on the bag or something.

Huffdogg

Post by Huffdogg » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:12 am

I started in on the Wii Fit at 250. I think you'd be fine on it. Alternately, you could probably pick up one of those old "step aerobics" platforms from the initial Step craze in the late eighties and just set it up in front of the TV and work it for a half hour or so every night.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:45 am

A crossfit style circuit for 30-45mins is awesome cardio without the "I'm doing cardio" feeling of steps or aerobics. I'd recommend something like this for fitness and fat burning.

Huffdogg

Post by Huffdogg » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:56 am

really? I've been told by most crossfit advocates that it's pretty well guaranteed to add mass due to the explosive strength requirements of a lot of the exercises (particularly the olympic lifts).

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:36 am

Possibly, but a little lean muscle mass is a great trade off for the fat burning and fitness benefits, especially while avoiding the dreaded cliché cardio routines that most of us men dislike so much. :D I've seen plenty of skinny crossfit people too so it doesn't seem to bulk up everyone by default.

holymadness83

Post by holymadness83 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:00 pm

Does anyone actually MIND putting on lean mass? I guess some women would mind, but for a man, isn't the goal to be a freak-of-nature, beast-of-the-hills, gargantuan wildebeest that scares the living crap out of everything that beholds you?

I use hyperbole of course.

Thanks for the input guys! Crossfit's not quite for me because I suck at the olympic lifts, I cannot do muscle-ups, and I find running deplorable. Their routine this week was all cleans, runs, and muscle-ups :(

tonez323

Post by tonez323 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:09 am

Tabata Protocol!

Youtube it for some ideas.

Or pick four exercises...pushups squats burpees mountain climbers...you got 20 seconds max all out effort then 10 seconds and 10 only of rest and continue for 4 minutes or up to 20 if you can handle it.

add this in 2-3 days a week and with shovel gloving ur definitely gonna get in shape and drop some fat

http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer.html here's a timer. just select the tabata option.

etomaria

Post by etomaria » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:58 pm

holymadness83 wrote:So, Cardio for people who hate Cardio? I think I'd break a Wii fit, although they did look awesome. Running pulverizes my knees sadly, and I just can't stand to do it.
You could walk... You don't need to do high-intensity cardio to lose weight, but a lot of people think that's the case. You just need to burn more than you take in... walking is a good way to do that, just go walk for a hour or so a day. That's why it's a good plan to combine all three of the major suggestions on this page-- eating normally/exercise/movement-- together... They supplement each other. The shovelglove will ensure you're not atrophying :), the walking will provide a normal way of keeping your heart in good shape, the eating right will ensure you don't go overboard in that department... Of course, you could switch walking to running or any other more intense form of heart-exercise, but considering you mention hating cardio, I'd predict that it won't last long... I hate cardio too ;) I'll occasionally have periods of time where I'll do it regularly and well (generally right before my military-mandated yearly PT tests) but they always end, so if sustainability is what you're looking for, I'd try walking. If you don't feel like just going for a random hour-long walk each day, replace short car trips with walking... (and check out the urban ranger page, cuz it covers most of what I've trying to say here, just a little more eloquently)
-Maria

chiangmaiboss

Post by chiangmaiboss » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:25 pm

I myself hate doing cardio exercise but it is only way I can lose weight as I hate diets and love to eat. Being as I live in Thailand I eat lots of rice and I could never do the No S diet because I always eat in middle of night. However I lost 40 pounds mainly from elliptical machine. I do it 35-60 minutes a day, six days a week for almost 1 year now and I hate it as gym is not air conditioned and it is very hot here of course. However this is only thing works for me. I also do a lot of hiking in mountains and jungle but without the aerobic machine I would not lose weight. I also run sometimes but I prefer going to gym. Iam 56 years old this week and my blood pressure is good for first time in over 20 years so my advice is do some kind of cardio aerobic exercise no matter how painful it is as it will give you ahealthier life.
Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sawan, Thailand

holymadness83

An update!

Post by holymadness83 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:33 pm

It is now my ninth week of shovelglove. I have not done it perfect. I have missed days, eaten junk, but I have stayed to it. At least 4 of the days of the week (some weeks 6 days), I have shoveled.

I am 6-8 lbs lighter with better muscle definition. My only other workout has been walking and a few tabatas (2 a week on average until I hurt my knee at a concert).

I came in a notch on my belt.

This has been with a home modded 25lb hammer. The shovelglove consists of a 20-lb hammer wrapped with a 5-lb "walking leg weight" and taped SEVERELY with gorilla tape.

Thanks shovelglove! I'm keepin' on!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:56 pm

That's great to hear, holymadness83!

I love it when problems like this work themselves out with a little bit of patience.

Reinhard

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:44 pm

A 25lb hammer! Wow, you're a beast!
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:35 pm

A 25lb hammer! Wow, you're a beast!
Yeah, I somehow missed that part. Be careful! Especially with the strapped on leg weight.