I gained 2 lbs! (on my shovelglove)

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
sporkfancier

I gained 2 lbs! (on my shovelglove)

Post by sporkfancier » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:12 pm

Over the weekend, I decided to trade up from a 10lb sledge to a 12lb. I've been 10lb shugging since the 3rd of August, so I figured I'd laid a solid foundation of habit and could handle the "progress".

I was feeling like the routine was getting a little too easy and wanted to see if I could take it up a bit. I told myself that I could just do MWF with the 12lb or even just Mondays if need be.

Well, today was the first day with the new sledge, and I definitely felt the difference. I decided to take it easy and not do my full rep count for my modified chop tree move. It's basically raising the sledge up and swinging it down and across my body. Good for abs, shoulders, and arms, and it is the hardest move in my routine. Previously, I'd do 40 on both sides, then on the second round of the routine, just do 21. I did 21 both time today. I'm going to go with that for this week and then see about bumping it up next week.

So far, I'm glad I waited until I'd been shugging for more than a month and a half before going up in weight. I've already targetted the end of December as the "earliest possible" date I'll allow myself to move up. I'd rather just ask for a 14lb sledge for Christmas and go with that than to push it faster. Work within established habits (buying gifts of $25 in value at the end of December), right?
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:02 pm

Nice! Congratulations!

Be careful to ease into it -- it's probably a good idea to alternate back and forth a bit, or reduce the number of reps a bit until you get comfortable with the heavier weight.

I spent at least a year on each of the three weights I've used (12, 16,20), so I'd be careful about fixating on another upgrade so soon... Remember, "maintenance is more important than progress."

Reinhard

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:45 am

So far, the only soreness I've had is from the (15) bench presses I did on Monday. I think that moving up only 2lbs is probably helping the transition. :)

Good advice not to fixate on progress, though. The fixation is more on the Christmas gift--my out-of-province relatives want to know my wish list earlier and earlier every year. I don't have to move up to the next poundage just because I got a new sledge I guess.
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?