Epoxy for safety

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
library_guy

Epoxy for safety

Post by library_guy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:27 am

I recently upgraded to a 16. (Still use the others, but I'm mixing the 16 in a couple times a week) Anyway, I got the 16 for a really good price because the guy at the hardware said that it had "been there for ages" and "people don't need more than a 12 unless they're working on a farm or building a dam." :)

When I got home I noticed that the handle was the tiniest bit loose. The wood had probably dried out slightly. I got some high strength all-purpose epoxy, mixed it, applied generously, and waited three days. It's now solid as a rock and completely wiggle free. As a precaution I did the same to my other three hammers.

I think of the epoxy as my missile defense program.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:26 pm

"people don't need more than a 12 unless they're working on a farm or building a dam."
Or PRETENDING to work on a farm or build a dam :-)
Hope it works better than the real one! :-)

Reinhard

Kevin

Re: Epoxy for safety

Post by Kevin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:54 pm

I've done the loose headed missile launch. It's fun in retrospect.

The other day I was splitting wood with my boy when the head came off his maul (he broke the handle). Wizzed by my thigh. Of course, he couldn't stop laughing because of how close it was to my, you know...

15 year olds measure everything in the distance from their what-nots.

library_guy wrote:I recently upgraded to a 16. (Still use the others, but I'm mixing the 16 in a couple times a week) Anyway, I got the 16 for a really good price because the guy at the hardware said that it had "been there for ages" and "people don't need more than a 12 unless they're working on a farm or building a dam." :)

When I got home I noticed that the handle was the tiniest bit loose. The wood had probably dried out slightly. I got some high strength all-purpose epoxy, mixed it, applied generously, and waited three days. It's now solid as a rock and completely wiggle free. As a precaution I did the same to my other three hammers.

Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

sporkfancier

Re: Epoxy for safety

Post by sporkfancier » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:27 pm

Kevin wrote:15 year olds measure everything in the distance from their what-nots.
Not just fifteen year olds!
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?