Another one finds the path...

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
kes

Another one finds the path...

Post by kes » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:43 am

Just wanted to stop in and say hello and thanks. I've been trying for longer than I'd like to admit to find a good exercise program. There are a number of options locally, but when it came down to it they were all too expensive, too far away, too time consuming, too boring. So thank you Reinhard for putting this out there for me to find, and to everyone on this board for the reading that convinced me this wasn't (too) crazy. :D

Just got my first 10 pound shovelglove and tried it out this morning. Took it easy trying to figure out all the movements, but still managed to work up a good sweat in 14 minutes. I loved it! Can't wait to wake up tomorrow and do it again.

Thanks to this, I've set out with a new goal: 30 days of No S, shovelglove, and some form of cardio every day. It's going to be awesome!

Cheers!
- Kes

Kevin

Re: Another one finds the path...

Post by Kevin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:50 pm

Do 25-50 hindu squats at the beginning and end and you'll up the cardio aspect dramatically.

And look at Urban Ranger too, for mild cardio.
kes wrote:Just wanted to stop in and say hello and thanks. I've been trying for longer than I'd like to admit to find a good exercise program. There are a number of options locally, but when it came down to it they were all too expensive, too far away, too time consuming, too boring. So thank you Reinhard for putting this out there for me to find, and to everyone on this board for the reading that convinced me this wasn't (too) crazy. :D

Just got my first 10 pound shovelglove and tried it out this morning. Took it easy trying to figure out all the movements, but still managed to work up a good sweat in 14 minutes. I loved it! Can't wait to wake up tomorrow and do it again.

Thanks to this, I've set out with a new goal: 30 days of No S, shovelglove, and some form of cardio every day. It's going to be awesome!

Cheers!
- Kes
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:19 pm

Welcome, Kes!

And great to see you around here again, Kevin.

Reinhard

kes

Post by kes » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:15 am

As I recorded my workout tonight, I noticed that I'd just hit six months, so I thought I'd post a bit of an update.

The goal when I started was to improve several things - eat better (No-S-ish style), exercise (shovelglove) and get in some longer cardio. Basically I wanted to lose weight, build up strength, and just feel better about myself. The past six months have been far from perfect (November/December were particularly bad!) but I've kept up as best I could. In January I really started trying to keep on track, running more, shugging daily, etc.

The results? I've managed to lose roughly 20 pounds, dropped a pants size, and my arms/shoulders have a much more defined shape. I've also gone from walking/jogging a mile in 11 minutes (and feeling like death afterwards) to being able to run a full two miles at about 9 each (and a single at 7:35, yay!). The running may not be directly shugging related, but I think the shovelglove gave me more energy and motivation to keep with the running.

I have a ways to go yet, but I know now that I'll get there. I was skeptical of shovelglove at first (and most folks I've told think I'm nuts!), but I'm addicted now. It feels good, and I can see/feel the results!

Thank you Reinhard!

Cheers!
- kes

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:05 pm

Thanks for the update, Kes!

That sounds like excellent progress.

I run about .75 times a week (usually about 3 ~10 minute miles), and I don't think I'd be able to do that without the physical (and psychological) preparation of shovelglove and urban ranger.

Reinhard