'Twas the day before T-giving

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
palm_tree

'Twas the day before T-giving

Post by palm_tree » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:03 pm

...and I started wielding the sledgehammer. I did 20 reps of Driving Fence Post, Shoveling, Scratch the Back (is that what it's actually called?), Flip the Lever, Chop Wood, and the one that looks like you're standing in the "on deck" circle and just lifting the sledgehammer off your shoulder and twirling it around. Lasted 13 minutes and got pretty sweaty. (I SWEAT. I'm not one of those ladies at the gym who has a few drops of sweat on her T-shirt and declares she's "drenched". I don't even consider that "glistening".)

When I was buying the sledgehammer, I was going to go for 10 pounds but when I picked it up, I quickly changed my mind. Wasn't as macha as I thought. I'll see how I feel tomorrow; I may just do this on alternate days. I'm wondering how my wrists will feel; this seems to be more taxing on my wrists than Nautilus equipment.

It's great watching TV and just doing this in the meantime (empty-ish living room, tall ceilings).

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:11 pm

Welcome!

Don't feel too overwhelmed... it does get easier once you've got a few sessions under your belt.

In terms of every other day vs. every N-day, I think the trick to making every-N-day shovelgloving work is that not every 14 minute session has to be equally intense. I've sort of formalized that it my own routine by doing the high rep routines early in the week, then low rep, then "freestyle" on Friday. Obviously, do what feels right to you. But don't underestimate the power of the calendar to keep you on habit.

Reinhard

palm_tree

Post by palm_tree » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:56 pm

Thanks, Reinhard.

It's been 5 days. I've had 3 sessions. I don't always do them all at once. But I get them all in. 20 reps each. I guess from the (not-so-old) habit of visiting the gyms 3-4 days per week, I felt better taking the day off in between. My muscles were weary. I like the mostly upper-body work; I get plenty of lower body work with regular aerobics exercising (although shoveling and chopping wood work the legs and stomach pretty well, too).

palm_tree

Post by palm_tree » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:23 pm

Boy, when you do this thing right (what I consider to be right, which means you throw your body into it), you end up feeling it in your thighs and backside.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:48 pm

I noticed that, too, which was unexpected, since I thought the movements were mostly upper body.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:19 pm

Absolutely. If you aren't feeling it in your lower body, you are putting too much stress on your upper body. I try to flex my knees with all moves.
palm_tree wrote:Boy, when you do this thing right (what I consider to be right, which means you throw your body into it), you end up feeling it in your thighs and backside.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."