Grip Strength for Fun and Profit

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
phayze

Grip Strength for Fun and Profit

Post by phayze » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:51 am

I've had this done for a while now, but haven't gotten around to doing closeups of it for show-and-tell purposes. I give you: Halloween '09 - "Going Medieval" ^___^

The reason I'm posting this here is that I've found chain maille to be an incredibly fun and, dare I say profitable, hobby that presents a unique and satisfying challenge to my grip strength, which I know is of particular interest to shovelglovers. This piece is made entirely of brass and blackened stainless steel, using two pairs of little hook-nosed pliers, a lot of patience and somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-6 hours of work (great time for audio books, I might add). Here's how it's done, if you're unfamilar with the process (though I bought my rings pre-cut from [http://theringlord.com]The Ring Lord[/url]), so you can imagine that manipulating those rings can put a serious strain on your grip after while, especially with harder metals like steel.

The profitability is questionable, but I did make some bracelets (which I have no pics of) as gifts, and they were a big hit.
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Wow, that is hard core.

But not much defense against blunt weapons like sledgehammers :-)

Deeply impressed!

Reinahrd

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:40 pm

That is awesome Phayze!!!!
Great pic of you too!! :D
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

phayze

Post by phayze » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:19 am

Thanks, guys! :D
reinhard wrote:But not much defense against blunt weapons like sledgehammers :-)
No, but it might slow down a particular Green Knight that I've read about. ;)
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words