shovelglove with a shovel

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
mrsj

shovelglove with a shovel

Post by mrsj » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:07 am

Today I started shovelglove with a shovel. I've only done 10 reps of each move that there are videos for. I used to use a mop, but felt ridiculous.

I want to get in shape for gardening season so I don't injure myself. Somehow, it seems more fun with a shovel.

I am a 50 year old woman who is very weak in my upper body. Even the shovel seems very heavy to me. My friend has a sledgehammer that weighs 7.7 pounds-3.5 kilos. Any advice on when I can start using this if I shovelglove every day with my shovel? I don't want to injure myself. When I first get started I don't feel any pain until the next day. I really can't feel when I'm over doing it until it's too late. I have NO experience in such things.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

fungus

Post by fungus » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:44 am

You need to notice a bit of weight when you're shugging. If the shovel seems heavy to you then that's fine. Wait until you can do the whole 15 minutes without any real effort before upgrading to the hammer. A 3.5 kilo hammer is pretty light but take it slowly at the beginning.

You've got two months before gardening season so maybe a month with the shovel, building up to full 15 minutes without stopping. After that do two weeks going slowly with the hammer then another two weeks doing the hammer a bit faster. If you're as weak as you say then two months isn't enough time to do a full-on 15 minutes with the hammer.

Muscular pain is ok (and to be expected at the start), it means you'll get stronger. Any other kind of pain, sharp pains or pains that don't go away after a day or so and you should take it a lot easier with the movements that cause it. If it's really bad stop and rest for a few days.

When you're 50 you don't want to suddenly go crazy lifting weights, this is a long-term thing. Do your fifteen minutes daily and no more, let nature take its course. Think more of surviving this years gardening season with no problems and kicking the youngsters butts next year.

exnerd

Post by exnerd » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:57 pm

mrsj, do you suffer from any medical conditions that might interfere with your workouts? If you have a history of lower back or shoulder problems, you should check with a medical professional before starting your daily shovelglove routine.

As you say that you don't have a whole lot of experience working out, the main challenge will be differentiating between the good and the bad kind of soreness.

Generally you should get into the routine very slowly, e. g. by the following measures:
1) Stop with a movement not when you're already close to muscular failure, but when you're still fine (no burn etc.). You can switch sides more frequently at the start (every 5 reps or so), and over time increase the number of continuous reps you do with each side.
2) Watch out for perfect form all the time, and initially avoid movements which are executed with momentum (chopping wood, firemans) in favor of "slow" movements without momentum. You can integrate the fast movements later.
3) Only gradually introduce the shovel - even if it feels ridiculous, stick to the mop for some more time and alternate between both props. You can gradually increase the workout time you spend with the shovel, and decrease your "mop time".

Although Reinhard is quite critical of progression (in the long term, it might cause ambitious trainees to overreach and emerge frustrated), in your case I think you should make intelligent use of it by starting slow, and not working yourself in the ground. After each workout, you should still feel that you have plenty of gas in the tank. In mere weeks, you will notice improvements, and you will then be able to challenge yourself with more confidence in your abilities, and knowledge of your limitations.

Make this your motto: "Better safe than sorry."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:24 am

It's funny that people have suggested using all kinds of implements for shoveglove (brooms, mops) but never shovels, which you'd think, in retrospect, would be the most obvious.

If you're just starting with a shovel today, don't even bother worrying about the next step. Just get nice and comfortable with this. There's no rush, and it isn't a competition. Maybe the shovel will be all you ever need.

And don't worry about feeling ridiculous -- shovelglove is ALWAYS a little ridiculous, no matter what implement you're using. Ridiculous is part of its charm, I like to think. :-)

Reinhard

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:15 am

Thanks so much for your advice.

fungus: I am taking it slowly as I want to shovel tomorrow too. Today, I'm just a little sore, but I can function. I tried the mop and it's just too light. So, today I used my trusty shovel. I didn't do the fireman or chop wood. I only did 10 reps of each both left and right handed. Next week I will do 12 of each. I am only thinking of gardening survival, not breaking any records. I have a lot if digging and hoe-ing to do. I also have 450 kilos of gravel to wash for the bog area of our garden pond. My goal is to work slow and steady for 45 minutes and 15 minute break all day long without burning out.

exnerd: The only medical problem I have is chronic laziness resulting in obesity! I am starting slowly and console myself that I can only get better. Today my shoveling only took 7 minutes. So, I trotted (literally) to the kitchen and swept the floor both left and right handed.

Reinhart: Thanks for your input. I will stick with my shovel as this is the tool I'll mostly be using in my garden. My hoe is too light and the shaft is too long to use indoors. I've learned my lesson! When gardening season is over, don't get lazy in the winter, but SHOVELGLOVE!!!

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:22 pm

I've added 5 reps and the shovel is starting to feel light. So, next week I'm going to borrow that 3.5 kilo sledgehammer. I'll do 5 reps with my shovel to warm up and 5 reps with the sledge hammer. I feel ready to try some of the moves that involve twisting: Fireman, Chop Wood and Drive Fence Posts. I'll use my mop to begin with.