Newbie, first workout today

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
liam_g

Newbie, first workout today

Post by liam_g » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:17 pm

Hey folks,

I've lurked for a while, bought a sledge months ago, but just finally did my first shovelglove workout today. I'm breaking myself in easily, so I only did 5 minutes this first day, just shoveling, chopping wood and churning butter. I have a slight right wrist injury that doesn't bother me in these exercises, but I can't do flip lever yet until it heals.

Anyway, glad to be here, and I'm really looking forward to progressing and getting in better shape!

Cheers,
Liam

Artekus

Post by Artekus » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:39 pm

Hello and welcome Liam! I'm quite new to this as well :D

You'd be surprised how quickly you notice changes, even if it's only you can see them at first. Just be careful not to push that wrist too hard, although to be fair it sounds like you've got that one pretty well covered!

Ayad

chiangmaiboss

Post by chiangmaiboss » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:28 am

Welcome also. Wrist should be okay if you are careful. I do shovelglove with tennis elbow and it does not bother me. Only thing bothers me is how did I get tennis elbow, since I dont play tennis.
Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sawan, Thailand

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:55 pm

Welcome, Liam.

You're right to play it careful with the wrist -- take your time working up to the full 14 minutes. There's no rush.

Best of luck and looking forward to hearing more from you,

Reinhard

liam_g

Post by liam_g » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:38 am

Thanks folks! Have worked up to 10 minutes now, shoveling, chopping wood, churning butter.

Also added a movement to target my triceps that I call "Scratch your back." I have no idea if it's new or not. I start with my arms extended over my head holding the sledge by the end of the handle, with the head of the sledge behind my back. Then I lower the sledge by bending at the elbows, letting the sledge handle rub between my shoulderblades, then re-extend my arms to lift the sledge. Seems to work really well, so far at least.

Very happy so far, and looking forward to continuing and working up to the full 14 minutes.

Cheers,
Liam

pirateman2k

Post by pirateman2k » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:41 am

Like the French Press:

will work your triceps and grip nicely.

liam_g

Post by liam_g » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:16 pm

pirateman2k wrote:Like the French Press:

will work your triceps and grip nicely.
Exactly! :)

Cheers,
Liam

liam_g

Post by liam_g » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:34 pm

Ah, now I see that it's not new at all ... just a two-handed Hoist the Sack.

Cheers,
Liam