question about sledgehammer

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
mrsj

question about sledgehammer

Post by mrsj » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:19 am

Yesterday DH found an old sledgehammer in a field and took it home for me. The shaft is broken, so it's only as long as a hand held axe. My question is, can I use this to shovelglove? I thought I'd wrap the broken handle with tape so I don't get splinters. Will it be harmful to shovel with so short a shaft?

My shovel is starting to feel feather light. This sledgehammer is heavier, but not too heavy for me.

Thanks for your advice.
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:41 am

As long as the head of the sledge is on tight, you should be all good.

There's no real magic to routinely moving heavy objects to gain strength as long you're moving within a range of motion that doesn't A) Hurt in the short term and B) isn't using bad body mechanics so that you get an injury in the long term.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

fungus

Re: question about sledgehammer

Post by fungus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:47 am

mrsj wrote:Will it be harmful to shovel with so short a shaft?
It won't be "harmful" but you're really limiting yourself in the movements you can do.

A new handle shouldn't be hard to find, the trouble is in fitting it.

Have you got a birthday or anniversary coming up? Ask for a new hammer....!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:28 am

Of all the years n the web I have spent, what does DH mean? :?
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:14 pm

DH means darling husband.
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:59 pm

I think you could probably still get a great workout from swinging around a shorter hammer, but the movements on the shovelglove site do assume something longer, so they may not be as effective (shorter hammer means less leverage) and might just seem a little weird.

Reinhard

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:50 pm

There was just a recent topic about a Japanese exercise that uses a stone on a short handle. I think your short-handle sledge hammer would be perfect for this kind of stuff!

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6327