Shovelglove - Hojo Undo Style

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
J Ellis

Shovelglove - Hojo Undo Style

Post by J Ellis » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:35 am

I've been reading a book on Okinawan karate's supplementary training apparatus. This is an aspect of traditional Okinawan karate that many westerners know little if anything about. It is a fascinating subject and has several ideas that may be of interest and use to Shovelglovers.

See a basic routine with one tool similar to a sledgehammer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1qKW5e-PPw. This device has a shorter handle than most sledges, but the techniques can be replicated with a modified sledge or by choking up on the handle (careful not to hit yourself with the other end).

This may have been posted before and I did not see it. If so, I apologize. Hope it is of some use.

Joel

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:55 am

Hi Joel,

I've never seen this before (and even if I had, stuff this good is always worth reposting if it's not immediately obvious that it has been -- if you missed it, chances are others will as well).

Very cool, both as confirmation that shovelglove is "onto something" (some of the moves directly correspond to "canonical" shovelglove moves, I noticed "stoke the oven" in particular), and as a source of ideas for new moves.

It was interesting to see how he got his lower torso involved in so many of the moves. That's been proposed here as well, but I can't say I've been doing it regularly.

Some of the moves looked a touch dangerous, at least for someone as uncoordinated as myself: lots of bare hammer action uncomfortably close to the brain. Still, maybe a good (if high stakes) way to develop some more coordination. :-)

Thanks for the link!

Reinhard

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:47 pm

I'm glad you liked it. I thought the same thing when I saw these techniques: Early Shovelglove Training!

These movements do require concentration and practice to execute correctly and safely, but that is no different from many other SG moves. Focus and Form should be the guiding principles for any session that involves swinging weighted objects around.

Now I've got to make one of these to add to my collection of sledgehammers and other traditional training toys.

Joel

Scason

Post by Scason » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:19 pm

Hi, I'm new here today. I thought you might appreciate this link.
http://memoirsofagrasshopper.blogspot.c ... ishii.html

phayze

Post by phayze » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:23 pm

Hey, great links! These look a lot modern clubbell moves, which are derived from the middle east . . . makes me think the Dharma isn't the only thing the monks brought along on the trip to Asia! ;)

checking other chi ishi vids on youtube turned up a lot of guys using a one-handed version of my moulinet - guess I was onto something too! :D
1 Picture = 1,000 words
0:01s Video = 30 pictures
therefore, 0:01s Video = 30,000 words

Scason

Post by Scason » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:32 pm

I loved the moulinet move. It reminds me of a Bo staff move I used to do.