New convert

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
sblake11

New convert

Post by sblake11 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:47 am

Howdy, just wanted to say hi and thanks for the site. It's a really great idea.

I've got some chronic injuries from bodybuilding and I was forced to quit a few years ago. I blame it on using the machines. I healed up a bit, and been looking for something new- I tried Olympic lifts for a while, and while it didn't hurt too bad, it's just too dangerous to do alone in a basement with no coaching. But I've got to get a workout somehow...

So I'm pretty excited about trying this out. I did a dry run doing the movements with an axe, and it didn't aggravate my injuries at all. I guess it makes sense- our ancestors did this type of work daily without all having torn rotator cuffs. The concept of working out more like play than doing drills really appeals to me too. I'm really excited to buy a real sledgehammer tomorrow and see how it works out.

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:36 am

Welcome! When I first started shoveling, I started with a mop! Then I advanced to a garden shovel. I now have a 7 lb. sledgehammer with a broken handle. The shorter length works for me. I'm not shoveling now, I use those muscles doing heavy garden work.

Good luck!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.