new to shovelglove and have a question

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
guille

new to shovelglove and have a question

Post by guille » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:32 pm

hi, im new to this, i just made my shovelglobe, 12 pound, its difficult but i like it

my question is this(its mainly directed to experienced shovelglove users)

after some years of doing shovelglove and using a heavier hammer have you tryed to see how strong have you becomed in other exercices , for example seing if you can do pull ups and things you where not able to do before shoveling?

chico

Shugging does mean chinups, dips, rock climbing, etc.

Post by chico » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:19 pm

After 5 years of not working out, then doing only shovelglove mostly every week day for about 4 to 5 months, first with an 8 lb hammer for 3 months, then with a 12 lb one after that, I was passing by a playground and decided to try doing some chinups. I did 7 without any warmup, and the weather was chilly. A couple of months later at a different playground I tried again. Without warmup, 8 chinups, 7 dips. I've since upgraded to a 16 lb hammer

I never tested myself before starting shugging, but from past experience I know I wouldn't have been able to do any chinups. When I was working out at the gym 5 years prior, I was doing chinups and dips twice a week, first on a machine that assists you, then eventually (after quite a while) without assistance. It took about 6 months before I could do 10 bodyweight chinups and dips. What I didn't have then that I do have from shugging was the amazing grip strength, strength endurance, and cardiovascular endurance. Going indoor rock climbing with friends, when their grip was completely fried after about 2 hours, mine was still good, and only the soreness of my fingertips would have prevented me from doing more.
Shovelglove make you strong like bull!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:20 pm

Well, I can now beat just about everyone I know in armwrestling.

There are only two people I'm not sure about:

1. a boxing instructor who can bench press over 300 pounds

2. My wife's uncle, who does 500 pushups a day

I'll have to schedule an experiment with them to find out. :-)

Reinhard