Real life shoveling - how shovelglove benefits

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
dittany

Real life shoveling - how shovelglove benefits

Post by dittany » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:38 pm

So I haven't been shovelgloving for the past few months for various reasons and was thinking I must now be really rusty and weak, then this weekend I had to shift a ton of topsoil for a vegetable bed I built in the garden.

The first few shovels of earth I thought would defeat me - they felt very heavy - but then I went into shovelglove mode, put my back into it, went for it, finished moving the soil in about half an hour (four hundred shovels - I counted) and best of all none of my muscles ached the day after.

So shovelglove's benefits are clearly long-lasting and deep. I really don't know where I got the ability to do those four hundred shovels, except all the 14 minute practices I did 5 days a week, every week last year. Amazing.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:31 pm

It makes sense that shovelglove prepares you for real life work -- but it's always great to hear more actual, empirical evidence.

Thanks, Dittany!

Reinhard