longevity

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
guille

longevity

Post by guille » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:38 pm

i have done different phisycal activities over the years,trying to do fun things not robotic exercise. I did capoeira, parkour, and other things, but i realised that all those activities were short term, by that i mean that been realistic, i wouldnt be able to keep a high level for long, after 40 i wouldnt be able to do them the fullest, and after 60, well, parkour? Not a chance.

Right now im 27, not old by any means , but im not 19 anymore.

So i have been trying to find activties that will last for a life time and be fun too, gym work was just boring, and most bodyweight exercise not fun enough to follow regulary, and i finaly found shovelglove, its perfect ,over time you can find and invent new ways and moves so you will never get bored, and the muscle power and tone you can get is just phenomenal, and im guessing that ones your back mucles (and the rest of the muscles too) get used to the work , then you will be able to doit
till you are 90(if you get to that age)

whats your opinion there? Do you see shoveling as a lifelong activity?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:10 pm

I'm actively working on gathering empirical evidence for you, but unfortunately it's going to take me a few more decades :-)

But I can give you encouraging news about the the medium term.

I'm 36 now and started shugging when I was 28. If anything, I'm far more into it now than I was back in 2002.

So you've got about a decade before you're in totally undiscovered country.

And there are some hopeful glimmers even beyond that: the average age of a West Virginia coal miner today is 55. Although the working conditions aren't as grueling as those George Orwell described, I assume that they do at least a shovelglove session's work shovelglove-like manual labor every day.

Reinhard