glitch in the matrix-first post

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
minus30

glitch in the matrix-first post

Post by minus30 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:07 am

okay, so I'm searching the internet, looking for some kind of exercise program or something to compliment my recent return to running/jogging. I know if I do nothing but run, my back is going to go out, so I'm looking for something that doesn't involve health clubs, or pushups (i'm tired of sticking my face on the floor to work out), or crunches (neck strain).

I have been swinging an axe recently, doing some landscaping, and it seems like great exercise, reminds of my youth ,swinging a sledgehammer at a job I had during college.

So I search for workouts related to swinging an axe or a sledge. "shovelglove" keeps popping up , but I think "shovelglove, what the heck does that have to do with working out?" Eventually I click a link more out of idle curiosity then hope of finding something productive. Low and behold its the shovelglove homepage with Reinhard's story of the genesis of the shovelglove.

Now I have wasted a lot of time on the internet in the last 15 years but not once did I stumble upon the "shovelglove". All of a sudden I find this page that seems to be customized to exactly what I'm looking for. Hmm, I wonder if this page would have been there a couple weeks ago, before I picked up that axe in my back yard...

Anyway, I picked up a new sledgehammer today and spent a few minutes trying out some of the basic motions. Ready to start the program in the morning. I really like the idea of relating a workout to real life activities, like shoveling chopping etc. I sit on my butt all day at work and actually envy people that get some kind of exercise while working. Looking forward to getting back in shape "shovlegloving".

Oh yeah, "the no S diet"! Great, simple idea. Minus 30, here I come. :D

minus30

Post by minus30 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:07 am

I started the shovelglove program last Friday and I've really been enjoying it.
Today was an off day and I missed my little 14 minute workout. Probably a good idea though, I felt a little more tired during Fridays workout.

One thing I noticed was a little flare up of some elbow tendinitis, very slight, but I feel it during certain movements. Anybody else feel it in their tendons.

Thanks
Joe

sherlock

Post by sherlock » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:00 am

When I first picked it up I had that problem a couple of times. I just made sure to keep a close eye on my form to avoid this strain, and to do the movements slower. That seemed to help me. Haven't had any problems since.

Good to hear you are enjoying it.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:57 pm

Welcome, Joe.

I haven't had any experience with tendonitis, so I can't really comment except to give my generic injury prevention advice to slow down a bit and stop immediately and take the next day off if anything hurts.

For the first time in ages, I did 6 days of shovelglove last week (and a super intense sixth day at that, to get some more footage for the "shovelglove HD" dvd my brother and I are working on). And these last couple of days I've been feeling some pretty intense confirmation in my belief that taking the weekend off is a good idea. :-)

Reinhard

guille

Post by guille » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:15 am

welcome joe

shovelglove is lots of fun

and by the way reinhard, when are you getting the dvds? it would be great to get them