My story and hybrid exercise

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Petros

My story and hybrid exercise

Post by Petros » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:23 pm

I gave Shovelgloving a shot when I was wiki-ing alternative exercise equipment (starting with kettlebells).

I found shovelglove on Wikipedia. By the way, it looks to me as if that page was designed by an enthusiastic amateur, no offense to anyone, honest! The actual Shovelglove website is far better and more descriptive.

I started out using a unilaterally loaded curl bar with a 10lb weight. The ends are actually 8 inches or so of thick threading with the weight fastened by a large nut. Even though there was hardly any threat of the weight flying off, I still was perturbed by the heavy clink every time I swung the bar.

So this week I finally got a real sledgehammer. Like it so far, certainly because the handle isn't awkward (unlike a curl bar).

I used to walk a lot in college, to help pass time between classes and to get me thinking of ideas for papers. Yesterday I had the idea of bringing the shovelglove with me to my walk, so that I can walk for a bit, do the 14 minutes and walk home. I vary my grips and holds so that the hammer actually does something while I walk.

I thought the idea of wrapping the hammerhead was silly, until I had the idea to walk and shug at the same time. The sweater makes it look less threatening.

fungus

Re: My story and hybrid exercise

Post by fungus » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:41 am

Petros wrote:I started out using a unilaterally loaded curl bar with a 10lb weight.
I tried that once and it simply doesn't work because the bar is heavy. For Shovelglove to do its thing you need all the weight at one end. Being off-balance is what works the 'core'. If you're not off-balance you might as well just do arm curls or something.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:09 pm

Welcome, Petros.

Looks like we've got the Iberian peninsula well represented here. :-)
I found shovelglove on Wikipedia.
I'm happy someone took the time and effort to get it up -- and it's got a link back to the home page. I guess I could try to figure out how to tweak it myself (or would that violate some wikkipedia conflict of interest clause?).
I thought the idea of wrapping the hammerhead was silly, until I had the idea to walk and shug at the same time. The sweater makes it look less threatening.
This can be a pro or a con. :-)

I like that you're taking it outside. I've thought a few times I should take it with me on my occasional jogs -- good upper body workout (sort of like that "heavy hands" guy) and might discourage people from trying to pass me. :-)

Reinhard

Petros

Post by Petros » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:17 pm

reinhard wrote:Welcome, Petros.

Looks like we've got the Iberian peninsula well represented here. :-)
Except I'm American.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:13 pm

Ah, sorry. Could have sworn I read "Lisbon" in your profile, but I think I must have been getting you mixed up with someone who just emailed me. Always good to have another fellow American here, too.

Reinhard

Petros

Post by Petros » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:56 pm

I have also found that making steps doing the "Chop wood" routine makes it a bit easier.

One step--bring hammer up.
Another step--bring hammer down.

It should be co-ordinated so that the same foot is always forward when bringing the hammer down. Also, it's best to do this in some kind of loop or square. Like an unoccupied baseball diamond. Though I suggested "shug while walking," I think chop wood is too dangerous to do on the sidewalk.

filipe

Post by filipe » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:12 am

Hi,

The Portuguese guy must have been me ::D Petros sound as Greek.

By the way, I've upgraded my sledge from 5Kg to 7 Kg with 2 wrist weights. These are filled with sand, so there's little or no damage if they fall of (and they did :roll: )
I'm waiting to get more consistence within my body so I can decide with sledge to by next, as they're not cheap stuff to get on buying frequently.

Next toy will be home made kettlebells...

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:18 pm

Welcome to the group (and thank you for clarifying!), Filipe. :-)

I've been shugging for 8 years now and I've only gone through 3 sledges, so you don't really have to upgrade very frequently. The cost of those 3 hammers (and I very much doubt whether there will be a fourth, unless my 20 pounder breaks) amortized over 8 years comes out to something like a dollar a month (and that's only going to get cheaper).

But for people who do want to add weight more incrementally, your sand weights sound like a good, relatively safe option.

Reinhard

filipe

Post by filipe » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:00 am

Hi Reinhard.

Thank you for the welcome.

You're right about the investment.
The intention is to understand witch sledge to choose, as I step in to the next plateau.
I realized that the progression curve is more significant in the beginning, as I've spent only 1 week with 5 Kg sledge (although it seemed quite heavy in the first day) and jump to the 7 Kg right after.
The intention is to train for long time without home made upgrades.
Still the 5 Kg is a no regret acquisition, very useful for those lower shape “season'sâ€.

By the way, I was investigating the above link's and find out that I'm a Urban Ranger for quite some time :D!
Much better name to use when I need to justify my attitude :wink:.

(next toy – home made Bulgarian bag )

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:37 pm

Bulgarian bag, huh?

Never heard of it -- just dug up a link.

http://jabmax.com/2009/06/27/how-to-mak ... der-12-00/

Looks fun (though a tad more complicated that wrapping a sweater around a sledgehammer).

It looks kind of like giant sausage, which is also appealing, but may inspire un-no-s-like thoughts. :-)

Almost the best part of coming up with a crazy exercise idea is you get to find out about all the other crazy ideas out there.

Reinhard

Petros

Post by Petros » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:38 pm

To be fair, the inventor of the Bulgarian bag was inspired by everyday-like movements. Of course his "everyday" routine involved shepherding.

filipe

Reinhard

Post by filipe » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:09 am

Petros wrote:... the Bulgarian bag was inspired by everyday-like movements
And also involves using just one object to perform all the exercise routine :!:
reinhard wrote:... a crazy exercise idea...
I guess you could say that Shovelglove is crazy, in the sense that is a honest, simple, effective, cheap, practical form of exercise, compliant with most people modern life style :D (this far away from the traditional approach :twisted:)
reinhard wrote:... you get to find out about all the other crazy ideas out there
Still, Shovelglove+Urbanranger routines remain intact (your teachings are safe :wink:)

Petros

Post by Petros » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:27 am

Dear Reinhard,

Felipe's "bulgarian bag" idea inspired me to make one of my own. So tonight I took mine on its inaugural workout. I carried it about a quarter mile to the community park, did some of the exercises I saw on Youtube and when I got home, attempted to do my 14 minutes with the sledge.

I couldn't last two minutes (gave up after doing about eight left sided Drive Fence Posts).

I'm not saying I'm quitting; only for today. Walking home with a ~26lbs bag after a mini-workout is very tiring, it seems. But thank you for this site. Without it I wouldn't have known of the unique workout opportunities.

I'll still shug, but I'll do other things as well. (I noticed that my hammer feels very light today--but I don't think I'll commit to a new hammer just yet).