Animal Stick

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
stanh

Animal Stick

Post by stanh » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Petros

Post by Petros » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:21 pm

OK, I'll bite.

It looks interesting, and fun. The only thing is how do you make one?

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:08 am

I think this has been linked to before in the past. Personally, I'm not impressed. These people seriously expect folks to pay for a rock and a stick?

stanh

Post by stanh » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:03 pm

Yeah. I posted the link just because some of the moves work nicely with the shovelglove.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:16 pm

Thanks for the link. Always good to keep abreast of other shovelglove-like stuff that's out there.

I dug up the older post Djemps mentioned:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5092

Reinhard

chiangmaiboss

Post by chiangmaiboss » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:46 am

You could do the same thing with a weight bar with plate on one end. Actually I thin exercises shown on video, as far as I watched it which was not whole thing, are useless. Mostly using momentum and not strength. Shovelglove is to me much better and also kettlebells, sand bags, indian clubs, and many other devices.
Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sawan, Thailand

storm fox

My Friend Mo.

Post by storm fox » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:39 pm

Chiangmaiboss, no disrespect, but what is wrong with using momentum? Is it not a natural, useful thing to speed up objects as we manipulate them? I know some people try to eliminate momentum, but I don't see where that applies once we're shovelling snow, throwing a ball, or jumping to catch a frisbee.

chiangmaiboss

Post by chiangmaiboss » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:21 pm

When you lift slowly, your muscles are doing the work. If you do it quickly, momentum is doing much of it. Just try lifting same weight slowly and quickly and you will see the difference. This is why bodybuilders lift slowly, and weight lifters lift quickly.
Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sawan, Thailand

storm fox

Hmmm.

Post by storm fox » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:05 am

I got my deadlift to 400 pounds by doing kettlebell swings with a single 65 pound KB. The swing is a movement full of momentum and acceleration/deceleration. If momentum-intensive lifting doesn't build strength or muscle, tell it to by back, hips, and grip. I'm not trying to be rude, but rather putting my own experience out there.

fungus

Post by fungus » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:13 am

chiangmaiboss wrote:You could do the same thing with a weight bar with plate on one end.
Nope.

Most weight bars are heavy (10lbs or more). The amount of weight most people can add to the end of a weight bar and still swing it.

If you can do shovelglove with a weight bar and 30lbs of weights on it, fine.

If you can only add a small weight then you don't get the same unbalancing effect as you do with a lightweight handle (eg. wood) and all the weight at one end. The unbalancing is important.

ericb

Re: Hmmm.

Post by ericb » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:02 pm

Before I start, I am not starting anything. Read with the kindest of intents. :)

Storm Fox and chiangmaiboss - I think you are both right. I used to do work out with one guy who insisted he only move slllowly (almost super slow style). I used to joke with him because we'd shoot hoops afterwards and I kept joking that he should shoot slower. Another guy (later workout partner) did these crazy curls that were more like one arm cleans. When we'd eat afterwards I'd tell him to "accelerate the cup!!!!" when he brought his drink to his lips.

In my experience, you train for your goals and pick movements that work with the type of body stress you are trying to achieve.

fungus - I have access to a sledge and also have a lightly weighted bar I use for shugging. They do feel different, but I would disagree on the lack of unbalance with the weighted bar. Personal experience here - I feel the sledge more in my elbows/wrists and the weighted bar more in my shoulders/elbows.

Is the weighted bar "purest shovelglove?" Nope. Does it work? Yep. As far as biomechanics go a long lever is a long lever - weight distribution is slightly different, but the basic loading feels very similar. My observation having access to both.

Thanks everyone, hope the discussion was worth the read!