Cannot workout for 14 minutes

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Jethro

Cannot workout for 14 minutes

Post by Jethro » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:59 pm

I recently started a thread in which, among other things, I said that my current routine was less than the required 14 minutes.

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6966

I adjusted my routine to comply with the 14 minute rule.

My problem is that starting this week my routine will exceed 14 minutes.

Let me explain. Last Friday I completed a round of doctor prescribed therapy for my lower back.

The therapy included core exercises and stretches.

My therapist gave me a routine of core exercises and stretches to be done 3-5 times a week for the rest of my life.

Before the prescribed routine, I have to exercise aerobically for 15 minutes to warm up my muscles.

Clearly, my workout will extend to at least half an hour.

Time is not a problem for me, but I'm concerned that I will not be able to comply with 14 minute rule.

What do you think? All comments and suggestions will be appreciated. :?:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:25 am

I wouldn't worry too much.

The only magic in the specific number 14 is psychological, in that it makes you laugh at yourself for trying to get out of it. It's not like I've discovered some ancient Mayan secret that will make your abs pop out at precisely the stroke of 14.

So it you have a compelling medical reason (or even just a strong desire) to make it 13, 15, 20, or even 30 minutes, that's just as good as the magic 14 -- as long as your compelling reason is compelling enough to make you actually do it consistently (the magic of 14 may be merely psychological, but don't underestimate that merely -- it is powerful). And of course, on a purely practical level, the more time you add the more time you're likely to run into scheduling conflicts with non-exercise activities. But sometimes there's no other alternative -- you've got to do what the doctor orders.

One more little caveat about the time: I don't think I could do a whole lot more than 14 minutes a day of shovelglove -- it's just too hard. But clearly you're throwing a lot of non-sholvelglove movements in there (the whole reason you're having this issue) so that doesn't apply to you.

Best of luck and happy shugging etc.,

Reinhard

Ray E

Post by Ray E » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:36 pm

I agree...I do ~15 minutes a day. I sometimes go up to 17 minutes, but I believe I'm ready to move up in weight. Exercise time is a myth IMO...quality over quantity every time.

chiangmaiboss

Post by chiangmaiboss » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:01 am

I exercise every day but not every day is shovelglove. When I do shovelglove I do 30-40 minutes. Only exception is when I do this exercise where I do 1 hindu squat after every rep of shovelglove. This is verfy tiring and I do only 10 minutes.
Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sawan, Thailand

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:33 pm

Thanks for your kind responses.

I got it down to 29 minutes (I purposely included this odd number) which will include interval training, strength training (push ups, pull ups and squats, one set of each), core work (hips, abs, lower back, thigh and hams) and stretching (same as core). However, this routine needs to be done only three times a week.

I am considering breaking it in half - 14.5 minutes - but I would have to extend workout days to six days a week.

Would extending workouts to six days, or reducing it to three days, break the 14 minutes rule?

Thanks!

PS I walk daily 1-2 hours spread in 10 minutes sets.