This guy inspired me!

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
storm fox

This guy inspired me!

Post by storm fox » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:02 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBv-iaNAnpE

I used to do similar work in a feedstore for 8 years, although our loading/unloading was not nearly as hardcore. If we had to unload a truck, each pallet was usually loaded with 40 bags each weighing 50 pounds. Sometimes the trucks had 4 pallets, sometimes 9, and sometimes more. We never had a workload such as this guy! In our defense, though, we often had to carry the bags 100 feet or more, stack them on carts (2-10 bags) and push the carts to the loading docks, and/or load the bags into vehicles of all kinds (I once loaded bales of straw into a classic Porsche. What a mess).

Anyway, this video got me thinking of ways to use a sandbag to do loading/unloading exercises, and I think the following could be good:
Deadlift/Curl/Press (or Clean & Press)
Alternating Lift to shoulder
Deadlift/Pivot/Drop
Stack/Unload onto platform
Carrying in the following positions:
Overhead Lockout, Shoulder (each side), Bearhug, Deadlift Lockout.

Steve Justa's old Barrel Lift program could be excellent, too:
Shouldering
Shouldered Squat (each side)
Deadlift
Bear Hug for Time or Reps

What do you guys think?

Kevin

Re: This guy inspired me!

Post by Kevin » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:06 pm

Great idea. There's are guys out there with sandbag workouts. If you Google "sand bag workouts" you'll get tons of links to augment what you are thinking of.

This seems like a perfect compliment to SG. Old timey, practical strength training, for cheap.
storm fox wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBv-iaNAnpE

I used to do similar work in a feedstore for 8 years, although our loading/unloading was not nearly as hardcore. If we had to unload a truck, each pallet was usually loaded with 40 bags each weighing 50 pounds. Sometimes the trucks had 4 pallets, sometimes 9, and sometimes more. We never had a workload such as this guy! In our defense, though, we often had to carry the bags 100 feet or more, stack them on carts (2-10 bags) and push the carts to the loading docks, and/or load the bags into vehicles of all kinds (I once loaded bales of straw into a classic Porsche. What a mess).

Anyway, this video got me thinking of ways to use a sandbag to do loading/unloading exercises, and I think the following could be good:
Deadlift/Curl/Press (or Clean & Press)
Alternating Lift to shoulder
Deadlift/Pivot/Drop
Stack/Unload onto platform
Carrying in the following positions:
Overhead Lockout, Shoulder (each side), Bearhug, Deadlift Lockout.

Steve Justa's old Barrel Lift program could be excellent, too:
Shouldering
Shouldered Squat (each side)
Deadlift
Bear Hug for Time or Reps

What do you guys think?
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."