I'm new to SG and a new movement

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
xzypher

I'm new to SG and a new movement

Post by xzypher » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:26 pm

Hi I just started SG on Wednesday and am enjoying it. My dad does renovations so he happened to already have a sledgehammer. It is an 8 lb. one which is good for now. I found that before I started SG I hated working out arms. However now that I am doing SG I am noticing results and I actually enjoy the workout. One movement I devised is called The Bow. I do Taekwondo so that is where the name came from. You take both hands and put them close to the hammer end. Then bending forward you put your chin towards your chest. BE CAREFUL NOT TO GO TO FAR. You should only bend a little bit until your lower back begins to round. If you go to far you will hurt your lower back so only bend a little. This movement is similar to a standing prisoner crunch.
Good luck and happy shugging. :D

koopa

Post by koopa » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:45 am

Is this supposed to work out your lower back? I'm slightly confused to where this move is targeting.

If it is supposed to add flexibility to the lower back, I might give it a try and see if it helps.

Glad that you like SGing, I've been at it for 3 months now with a 8 lb sledge. The first two months, I had significant muscle growth, then it levels off which is to be expected.

Good luck with it!

xzypher

Post by xzypher » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:32 am

Hi no this targets abs. If you are looking for a lower back exercise one is where you lie on the floor, have your arms by your side with palms facing upwards. Your feet should be spread about shoulder width apart. Next bring your chest up while reaching back towards your feet. You shouldn't be able to lift your chest up very far. Happy shugging.

koopa

Post by koopa » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:04 am

xzypher wrote:Hi no this targets abs. If you are looking for a lower back exercise one is where you lie on the floor, have your arms by your side with palms facing upwards. Your feet should be spread about shoulder width apart. Next bring your chest up while reaching back towards your feet. You shouldn't be able to lift your chest up very far. Happy shugging.
Sounds like a torture tactic! 8) 8)

xzypher

Post by xzypher » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:50 pm

lol only to your lower back :D