Shovelglove T-shirts!!

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Kid Charlemagne

Shovelglove T-shirts!!

Post by Kid Charlemagne » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:58 pm

This is a call to all of you creative/artisitc types. We've seen the No S shirts at cafepress... we need a shovelglove t-shirt! My idea (hopefully somebody elses artwork). A overly muscular, character torso Schwarzenegger-esque picture with Reinhard's head, brandishing the shovelglove... underneath reading "Reinhard the Librarian" in some cool font.

Let's get a move on so I can buy my next round of xmas/kwanzaa/channukah/... whatever other pc holiday fits...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer." -El Duderino

david

Post by david » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:07 pm

I would definitely buy a t-shirt!

I'm no artist but I've thought it would be cool to do a take-off on the Arm&Hammer logo but the muscular arm could be holding a shovelglove (the wrap should be a fluffy sweater).

Since both men and women shovelglove you could alter the original image where I stole my avatar so that the people are wearing pajamas and the sledgehammer heads are wrapped with fuzzy sweaters.

Sometimes I really wish I had graphics skills!

thanks,
David

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:14 pm

I have to pipe up against the Schwarzenegger body with Reinhards head..
Did you happen to see what Reinhards "During" photo looks like Sgt Charlemagne???
It's on the NoS home page..

I can't think of anything that needs improvement there! :wink:

I'd buy a shirt with Reinhard plastered on it!
LOL..
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

JWL

Post by JWL » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:39 pm

yeah, I'd buy a shovelglove tshirt.... much faster than I'd buy a no-s tshirt.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Kid Charlemagne

Post by Kid Charlemagne » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:55 pm

Point well taken deb.... let's get these babies in print!

Kid Charlemagne

Post by Kid Charlemagne » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:29 pm

How 'bout the mighty Thor wielding a shovelglove?

Big Phil

T-shirt

Post by Big Phil » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:46 am

I was thinking of the logos:-
"Body By Sledgehammer"
Or
"Built By Sledgehammer"

With an appropriate picture. Pithy always works best.

Phil.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:46 am

Thanks for the suggestion, Kid. I would love to have a decent shovelglove t-shirt design. I'm even reasonably artistic (though it's a talent I've let deteriorate for a decade or so). Given the state of my skills and the state of my life, I just don't have the time to put together anything anyone would ever consider buying (even out of pity). Volunteers very welcome! There is precedent: Diane Sheets designed a great no-s logo for splashing on mugs and refrigerator magnets (the t-shirts are a little spare, but that's my fault). A shovelglove design would be a bit more involved, of course.

Excellent caption suggestions, Phil. The caption's going to make it, and pithy is a requirement.

As for the image, I was thinking maybe some old lithographs or etchings of manual laborers. David, you're on the right track with your avatar, but I have to make sure I don't violate copyright.

And until I hear he's doing shovelglove, I'm keeping the gubanator out of it :-).

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:35 pm

I think we should take pictures of our arms while holding the SG in the same orientation that Reinhard does, and then use some computer program to join them all in the middle so that it looks like one big wheel with our arms and SG's as the "spokes" of the wheel...

Personally, I want to see these arms on the pic...
(you could probably put at least eight spokes, like a pizza! LOL)

1. Reinhard
2. Freakwitch
3. Kevin
4. Jammin Jan and her little cute six pound hammer! LOL...
5. David
6. Kid Charlemagne
7. Richard Spears (but I don't know where he went!)
8. and of course Big Phil!

(and maybe me, but I am still very adipose challenged there... Maybe in 2007! LOL)
No copyrights would be involved, and it would be really cool looking..
Kind of like a Shovelglove Mandala and it would be us on it...
Maybe we could also have that manual laborers thing on the other side..
Oh wait!!!!!
Reinhard.. You need to do this!!!

A black and white photo of you, very beefcakey stuff, but hey, even Richard said to me that he thought you should show how great your abs look these days when he saw your pic.. People are inspired by that!
Okay.. You need to dress up in some heavy work jeans and do a "Herb Ritt's" style photo with a coal miners lamp on your head and some black shmutz smeared on your chest and face! LOL...
Hot!
LOL....

Have a great day!
Love,
8) Deb

Dixie_Amazon

Post by Dixie_Amazon » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:38 pm

Something along these lines? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/ ... ledger.gif

Or this guy? Image

:wink:
Dennise

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:42 pm

A smiley sledgehammer????
We need that guy on our forum!!!!
Love it Dixie Chicken!
Peace,
8) Deb

BenGPT

Post by BenGPT » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:29 pm

Hey guys. . . I haven't been absent from the forums lately, just silent.
Anyway, it's finally spring break and I've had some time to work on things other than school.
Here's the picture from my avatar, original and manipulated a few different ways in photoshop. Tell me if any of them are along the lines of the lithograph you were thinking of.
Original:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2386 ... hed3zw.jpg
Dark Strokes:
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3375 ... kes2om.jpg
Cutout:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2839 ... out4kc.jpg
Stamp:
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/2778/stamp1uz.jpg

Oh, and I can draw other poses/add figures and stuff, but I'd need reference photos to look at. I'm not so good at drawing off the top of my head. = (

-Ben

david

Post by david » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:29 pm

Ben,

Those are nice. I especially like the third and fourth ones.

thanks,
David

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:56 pm

These look very cool, Ben. Thanks! I'm traveling now, but I'll give a closer look at these and the whole t-shirt issue when I get back next week.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:51 am

These look very cool, Ben. Thanks! I'm traveling now
Hey Reinhard!
If you are in the city this week, and even have half a day free, please consider coming out to Great Neck for lunch and a world famous Grateful Deb, therapeutic, post shovelgloving session massage!!!
Or perhaps a musical serenade from the budding saxophone genius, Richard!
Best to you and your Wife and Daughter!

Happy Passover!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:46 pm

Thanks, Deb. But our holiday excursions typically involve hitting destinations in four states in as many days. I would kill for a free half day, and I'd probably spend it asleep :-).

hlidskjalf

Post by hlidskjalf » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:44 am

Attentiveness to this forum has not been my strong suit lately.

This aside, I like the shirt idea. I've always liked SG as simulacra of manual labor. So maybe as a pithy phrase..

Peasant Fitness.

Perhaps original even. The extent of my research:
http://www.google.com/search?hs=bXp&hl= ... tnG=Search
Burn all, burn everything. Fire is bright and fire is clean.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:48 pm

Hi Hlid!
How ya been :)

I personally think "Everyday Warrior" would be good, and then at the bottom have a little line with www.everydaysystems.com

Peasant is cool, but so many people use different scenarios, like Martial arts, coalmining, and well, frankly, I just dance around with the thing, that maybe peasant is too limited of a phrase..

Then again, maybe people wouldn't want to be considered warriors either! LOL...

Have a nice day!
Peace,
8) Deb

hlidskjalf

Post by hlidskjalf » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:25 pm

Well I do see more "warriors" than "farmers" here. This is true. But a few points..

The two are not so different really. Full time soldiers are a relatively modern invention. Even in societies that had a "warrior caste" of sorts the body of the army was made up of peasants armed with whatever they could find. Farming tools were often the closest a serf could get to the sword and lance of the knight.

Warrior is used in fitness programs on a regular basis.
Quick examples include:

Ross Enamait bodyweight training for boxing and things http://www.warriorforce.com/

Pavel Tsatsouline using one armed push ups and one leg squats with his "Grease the Groove" strategy to gain strength sans equipment in the not quite NC-17 Naked Warrior
http://www.dragondoor.com/b28.html

Googling Everyday Warrior finds a translation of a chinese classic now used in business.

Lastly, in many circles peasant is used as a synonym for cheap, thrifty, an overall lower cost alternative.

david

Post by david » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:47 pm

Hi all,

If I had to choose between the two I would go for "peasant" before "warrior."

The terms "warrior" and "combat" are used these days for things that have nothing to do with warfare or combat. I find it unseemly.

thanks,
David

BenGPT

Post by BenGPT » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:52 am

So, I was asking a friend which he thought was better, and he liked "Everyday Warrior." I told him it wasn't liked because "warrior" was used too often for things that have nothing to do with warfare and combat.

His reply? "Then why do you have those guns?! Eh?"

It made me laugh.

david

Post by david » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:27 pm

How about a shirt that reads,

"The first rule of Shovelglove is that you do not talk about Shovelglove.

The second rule of Shovelglove is that you DO NOT talk about Shovelglove.

Third rule of Shovelglove, when the timer says "STOP," the session is over.

Fourth rule, only fourteen minutes per session.

Fifth rule, one useful movement at a time, people.

Sixth rule, no suits, no shoes (only pajamas).

Seventh rule, the Shovelglove habit will last you as long as it has to.

And the eighth and final rule, if this is your first day on the forum, you have to Shovelglove."

Maybe too wordy, huh?

--David

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:33 pm

Yo Dave!!!
What's with all those rules????
You must be a disciplinarian! LOL...

Ben, Dave et all you guys, Hlid too...
I only suggested Everyday Warrior, because
1. It's consistent with the "Everdaysystems" thing
and
2. Warriors are found anywhere you look when we are speaking of self improvement and inner change... When I practice Yoga, I consider myself a yoga warrior!
With Shovelglove, I call myself a Shovelglove Warrior...
When I meditate I call myself a Peaceful Warrior...

Even trying to stick with NoS and lose weight is a "battle" which I am waging every day...

Dave, not all warriors have to go and fight in combat...
But I didn't mean to offend or lessen the importance of those who choose to offer their lives in the service and protection of others...
Obviously, that is a very honorable thing to do!

Have a great day!
Peace and Love,
8) Warrior Deb
Shovelglove Pact of Blood!

(But temporarilly gone AWOL in that department! LOL...)

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:37 pm

I like the rules, Dave, but yeah, they are a bit wordy.

Kind of ironic that the first rule breaks itself, eh?

My favourite is Rule 6. Though this is more information than those here need to know, I normally shug in just a T-shirt and my undies since I work up such a sweat. Still, most people can't say that they work out in their undergarments. I like that.
Simon
"Hickory Hand of the North"

david

Post by david » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:54 pm

Deb,

Calling yourself "warrior" is one thing and hanging the term on Shovelglove (and maybe all who follow the SG path) is quite another. As all the movements Reinhard lists on the main SG page are manual labor-oriented I like the peasant idea better--although an un-named third option might be best of all.

The list of rules in the previous post is adapted from the movie "Fight Club."

:D

Anyhoo, have a good day warriormom/yogi/massage therapist!!

thanks,
David

P.S. Ben, tell your friend that those guns are to attract girls, duh! :D

Samurai

Conundrum

Post by Samurai » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:11 am

The discussion about whether the shovel glove should be 'peasant' or 'warrior' oriented is very interesting.

The hammer was both a tool and a weapon, and although rare, the modern sledge hammer could definitely qualify as a weapon, in a pinch. But are we really concerned with the history of the hammer, when we're expanding use from tool and weapon to implement of exercise? :)

It seems to me there is a subset of people who will respond more positively to peasant imagery, a subset who will respond more positively to the warrior image, and some who will be put off by reference to war or combat. The shovel glove can't be all things to all people.

But maybe it can be one thing to all people. Or something like that. :)

How about referencing the shovel glove as a link to a bygone era, when people made a living by the sweat of their brow? Three squares a day, a full day's labor, and you'll be, healthy, happy, and wise. Not so much warrior, not so much peasant, but pioneer. Settler, rancher, railroad builder. Driving posts, laying bricks, mending fences.

I'm thinking railroads and conestoga wagons. Lewis and Clark. Valley Forge. The California gold rush.

Shovel glove represents the hard manual labor our forebears did to earn their way, and NoS represents grandma's wisdom about food: no candy, it'll rot your teeth, and no snacks 'cause it'll ruin your dinner (although most grandmas would force seconds on you, but we can just say food was limited back in the day. 8) )

So we have peasant, warrior, and pioneer. Glad I could clear that up. :?
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

hlidskjalf

Post by hlidskjalf » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:10 am

Hello,

My use of the term "peasant" was intended in the sense recommended for the term "pioneer." A simulacra of manual labor. A way for contemporary urbane man to share a bit of the back-breaking toil of old. This aside peasant equating to a lower cost (10lb sledge vs. BowFlex) fitness alternative. I personally just think warrior is a diluted term. Way of the Peaceful Warrior, The Rainbow Warrior, Warrior Weekend, Weekend Warrior, Warrior Diet, etc etc. Same word.. very different meanings.

david

Post by david » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:53 pm

Hi all,

As I was doing my pre-work urban rangering this morning I also came up with the term "pioneer" (before I read the previous posts). I like it! Way to go Samurai and hlidskjalf!

Shovelglove=pioneer fitness with a managable price point?

thanks,
David

P.S. I "pioneered" the crap out of my forearms this morning--good stuff!

hlidskjalf

Post by hlidskjalf » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:06 am

Hello,

This post is really a response to a private message here but might be of use to others. A brief overview of the Warrior things I listed:

Way of the Peaceful Warrior - A book that is Karate Kid meets Carlos Castenadas Don Juan books. I read it.. I'm not sure why..
Rainbow Warrior - University of Hawaii mascot and Green Peace protest ship.
Warrior Weekend - Think white collar workers off in the woods playing bongos and crying.
Weekend Warrior - Think blue collar employees trying to relive their high school sports days on a Saturday afternoon. Usually associated with strenuous exercise performed rarely leading to injury. Is this the argument against High Intensity Training?
Warrior Diet - By Ori Hofmekler. You see it distributed/mentioned by Dragon Door and Kettle Bell fans. You eat once a day. But the once is all you can eat. Ideally it is in a salad/meat/whatever order though. He goes into the idea of warrior as the last romantic but his romantic is the cultural rebel. James Dean and his ilk.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:23 pm

LOL!!!!

Hi D...
That was funny!
I actually started Way of the Peaceful Warrior, and found myself pretty bored by a few chapters in... I prefer Carlos Castaneda much more!
Have a great weekend!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:29 am

Wow, sorry I've been out of this thread for so long.

Regarding warrior vs. peasant, it isn't really an either/or. I think hlidskjalf summed it up nicely:
The two are not so different really. Full time soldiers are a relatively modern invention. Even in societies that had a "warrior caste" of sorts the body of the army was made up of peasants armed with whatever they could find. Farming tools were often the closest a serf could get to the sword and lance of the knight.
So peasant, warrior, pioneer all work. So does anything except the sedentary paper pusher/mouse twiddlers we've become.

Do keep in mind that the initial inspiration for shovelglove was the least romantic possible: the 19th french coal miner, the quasi-morlock whose bleak misery inspired my great-great-great-grand uncle (family legend, I've never actually researched the genealogy) and his buddy Karl to write a very inflammatory little pamphlet. Read the novel Germinal (or see the movie) for the downside of getting "ripped" in this fashion.

I have an idea for the shirt that would pay homage to all these (and then some, as they occur to us): shovelglove spelled out with letters that are little images of historical laborers doing various movements. This is way beyond my artistic powers, but I think it would look good and convey the proper spirit if done right. Another alternative would be to have the letters built out of various tools. Maybe one could be on the front of the t-shirt, the other on the back.

Reinhard

tommi

Pirates?

Post by tommi » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:02 pm

How about pirates?
They use shovels (for digging treasures, which is actually what each one of us is trying to do i believe), they are usually muscular and fit, they usually don't take themselves much seriously and they look badass.

Being an illustrator myself i can try and make an illustration (by the way: good job BenGPT!)

First post i make, i will introduce myself in another thread (i believe that's how people here do, right?)
we do what we want because we can

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:09 pm

Peasant, Warrior...whatever, "labels" will evoke different emotions in everyone.

One of the many beauties of SG, that I never considered until this thread, is that Reinhard invented, in addition to a concept and system, a name. When someone hears "shovelglove" they can not "bring" to the experience their "history/perspective" of "warrior", "peasant" etc. The natural reaction evoked therefore, before mentally, reflexively categorizing it, is, "What's a shovelglvoe?" Triggering that natural curiosity is simple and beautiful.

For that reason, a strong graphic, (if I understand it correctly, Reinhards idea about the letters of the name "spelled out" in illustrations of the movements, sounds great,) with just the name, "Shovelglove" is most consistent with the "ancient yet original" feel of , "this thing of ours".

JMO.

All the best,

Eddie

Mr_B

Post by Mr_B » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:53 pm

HAMMER TIME!

(14 minutes)

;)

jules

a simpler design

Post by jules » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:35 pm

How about an image of a sledgehammer (naked -- wouldn't want the sweater to confuse people):

the words would be (first line bigger font, second line smaller font)

Got hammer?

shovelglove.com

----
jules

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:29 pm

I have to agree with Eddie, that the lack of preconceived notions about shovelglove is one of the best draws to it. To test this theory I talked to people in three different offices that I work in about my workout. One office I used the word warrior. Later discussions would show those coworkers thought I was doing some sort of violent, anger induced exercise. One office I used the words peasant, manual labor and pioneer. Later discussion would show those coworkers thought I dug up my back yard and planted crops. The third office I used the word shovelglove. Unlike the other two offices, they didn't have any pictures in their minds and actually asked questions about it. One of them now shovelgloves.
Heather

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:10 pm

Great idea for your "experiment" Heather. The interesting and exciting results are rewarding and promising as well.

"What's a Shovelglove ? "

Indeed ! :D

twa2w

Post by twa2w » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:33 am

quote]I personally just think warrior is a diluted term. Way of the Peaceful Warrior, The Rainbow Warrior, Warrior Weekend, Weekend Warrior, Warrior Diet, etc etc. Same word.. very different meanings[/quote]

I guess I shouldn't suggest combining the terms then!
Peasant Warrior or Warrior Peasant?

Shovel Glove
Useful movements
for the
Peasant Warrior

Cheers
J

twa2w

Post by twa2w » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:54 pm

They say art imitates life - isn't that what Shvel glove is all about :D

Shovelglove;
Imitating
Life

Shovelglove;
Imitating Life
to improve life

Ok maybe nw I know why I don't create slogans for a living. :(

Cheers
J

Le Mercenaire

Post by Le Mercenaire » Thu May 01, 2008 10:12 am

Actually Twa2w, I really like

Shovelglove:
imitating,
Life.

It has something from the series that were made (and I guess still are) with say, Life : Sleep, Eat, Golf. Or basketball, or whatever you passion is, printed on the front.

Le Mercenaire
Bis vincit qui se vincit in victoriam

GLENDA

SHOVELGLOVE T-SHIRTS

Post by GLENDA » Thu May 01, 2008 6:11 pm

How about a sledgehammer with a man's arm-very muscular on the right & a woman's arm-also muscular but she'd have nail polish on her nails-both holding on to a sledgehammer with sweater on it in a circle-like the no s thing. around the circle it would say "everday: fit in only 14 minutes-shovelglove-www.everdaysystems.com" I can picture it in my head & though I'm an artist I am computor ignrant & out of practice!!! :lol: :lol: -Glenda

david

Post by david » Fri May 02, 2008 3:24 pm

I like Glenda's idea.

--david

Picklefish

Post by Picklefish » Sat May 24, 2008 12:59 pm

How about: The John Henry Society

with an old fashioned hammer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_(folklore)

-Me