Compulsively weighing myself

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Mrandy1

Compulsively weighing myself

Post by Mrandy1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:10 am

Started this 6 days ago....now if I could just stopping weighing myself each morning!!! I know we just want to measure the habit and I am enjoying coloring in and tracking my days using the habit calendar ---but each morning I hop on my old doctors office scale ( my dads a retired pediatrician and he gave it to me a long time ago)...but today the number was slightly higher than yesterday....very frustrating bc i am doing the no s to the letter!

Loving this system....my new goal is not to weigh myself!!! --- at least for a few weeks!
Mrandy1

Starting weight 3/20/2011: 176
Weight as of 4/23/2011. 169.8
Weight as of 5/5/2011. 169.5
goal BMI 24.9 = 164 lbs

koopa

Re: Compulsively weighing myself

Post by koopa » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:11 am

Mrandy1 wrote:Started this 6 days ago....now if I could just stopping weighing myself each morning!!! I know we just want to measure the habit and I am enjoying coloring in and tracking my days using the habit calendar ---but each morning I hop on my old doctors office scale ( my dads a retired pediatrician and he gave it to me a long time ago)...but today the number was slightly higher than yesterday....very frustrating bc i am doing the no s to the letter!

Loving this system....my new goal is not to weigh myself!!! --- at least for a few weeks!
Started nos or started shovelglove? If you are doing shovelglove workouts, you should expect the scale to increase before it decreases.

I haven't done nos yet (lazy) but I can tell you from a SG perspective, I gained weight the first month or so, then dropped 15 lbs the next month. After that, the weight loss normalized which I contribute to not having substantial muscle growth anymore (to be expected)

The next step for me in SG is to go up in weight, but I am focusing on Urban Ranging, and do not want to make too many changes at once. Too many changes will likely cause exercise failure! I will upgrade my SG in May, I think. (8 lb to 10 lb)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:58 pm

As long as you can not get depressed when your weight goes up, it's not the worst compulsion.

Point of reference, my weight is usually three pounds higher in the afternoon than it is in the morning. And it can vary by 2 pounds on any given day.

So don't let the variation bother you.
Mrandy1 wrote:Started this 6 days ago....now if I could just stopping weighing myself each morning!!! I know we just want to measure the habit and I am enjoying coloring in and tracking my days using the habit calendar ---but each morning I hop on my old doctors office scale ( my dads a retired pediatrician and he gave it to me a long time ago)...but today the number was slightly higher than yesterday....very frustrating bc i am doing the no s to the letter!

Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:57 am

Kevin wrote:As long as you can not get depressed when your weight goes up, it's not the worst compulsion.
This. Kevin is right.

It is my opinion that if you're going to weigh yourself every day, at least do yourself a favor and keep track of it in Excel or something, and make a chart that plots a moving average with a period of between 7 and 30 days. (In fact, the 30 day option is probably the closest to an accurate view of your weight trend that you'd have).
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.