Should I feel a difference between 8 & 10 lb sledge?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
koopa

Should I feel a difference between 8 & 10 lb sledge?

Post by koopa » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:49 pm

Besides the fact that I know it is heavier, I went up from 8 lbs to 10 lbs, and the 10 lber didn't slow me down at all. Doing the back scratchers was a bit more work, but I was able to do my entire routine with barely noticing a difference.

Perhaps it would make more sense for me to jump up to 12 lbs? Obviously, since I own the 10 lbs, I'm going to use it for a few weeks prior to getting a new sledge, but I am slightly disappointed that the 10 lb is no more of a challenge as the 8 lb'er was.

Anyone else go through this?

Kevin

Re: Should I feel a difference between 8 & 10 lb sledge?

Post by Kevin » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:22 pm

This may sound stupid, but did you weigh them? I have a 12 pounder that is a little over 10 and a half pounds, and an eight pounder that is close to 9. :(
koopa wrote:Besides the fact that I know it is heavier, I went up from 8 lbs to 10 lbs, and the 10 lber didn't slow me down at all. Doing the back scratchers was a bit more work, but I was able to do my entire routine with barely noticing a difference.

Perhaps it would make more sense for me to jump up to 12 lbs? Obviously, since I own the 10 lbs, I'm going to use it for a few weeks prior to getting a new sledge, but I am slightly disappointed that the 10 lb is no more of a challenge as the 8 lb'er was.

Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

fungus

Post by fungus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:24 am

koopa wrote:I am slightly disappointed that the 10 lb is no more of a challenge as the 8 lb'er was.

You should definitely notice a difference. Even if 10lb isn't enough to slow you down* you should have thought, "yeah, this is more like it!"

{*} ie. 8lbs was ridiculously underweight for you

koopa

Post by koopa » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:05 am

fungus wrote:
koopa wrote:I am slightly disappointed that the 10 lb is no more of a challenge as the 8 lb'er was.

{*} ie. 8lbs was ridiculously underweight for you
Hah yes, 8lbs is underweight, now!

Back in January when I started this program, I hardly was able to perform a routine and struggled greatly, with my 8 lb'er. Based on the advise of Reinhard from his forum posts, I took my time in the upgrade process, not to rush it. It seems I may have slow played it a bit much, but hey, this is a marathon and not a sprint!

BTW: The honeymoon period is over, the workout was more difficult for me today. I also haven't gotten a chance to weigh the sledges yet, but there is a noticeable size difference between the 8 and 10 lb sledges, so I would be surprised (though not shocked) if the 8 lb'er was heavier than 8, and the 10 lber was ligher than 10...

Regardless, I think that I will not wait as much time to jump up to a 12 lber. I'm currently planning a transition to the 12 lbs at the end of June. Lets see if I make my goals... :)