sets vs. high reps

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
slothlike

sets vs. high reps

Post by slothlike » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:21 am

I'm doing 3 sets of 15 per side per movement, but I see that a lot of people do high reps, like 50, and do each movement once. Is there a benefit to one way over the other?

BTW I started at 7 reps and worked my way up to 15 and stopped there just because the three sets used the 14 minutes almost exactly.

slothlike

Post by slothlike » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:55 pm

I did some experimenting and discovered that I like doing three sets, so I'm going to stick with that. I also figured that if I thought 50 reps was a possibility, I should probably get a heavier sledge. So I'm now working with a 12# hammer - 50 reps isn't possible anymore.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:51 pm

Hi Slothlike,

I do both low rep count (7 reps each movement) and high rep count sets (max 42 for some movements) throughout the week.

Not sure if one is better than the other, but it keeps it interesting to mix it up and I hedge my bets.

Reinhard

filipe

Post by filipe » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:44 am

reinhard wrote:Not sure if one is better than the other,
I read somewhere that produce different results. I think we need both.

Filipe.

slothlike

Post by slothlike » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:27 pm

Thanks for the info., that makes a lot of sense. I think I'll stick with 3 X 15s until I've been at it at least for a full month then I'll start mixing it up. I think I'll try rotating sets of 7s, 14s, and 21s on different days. I'll let you know how it goes.

-ted