working with tires?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
mattman

working with tires?

Post by mattman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:33 pm

I was just wondering if anyone includes hitting a tire in their shovelglove routine. Currently I do not, but I used to enjoy it every so often. It was not a mainstay, just something I would use to spice up a workout.
two wrongs don't make a right.
But three lefts do.

slothlike

Post by slothlike » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:21 pm

I don't, but I'm keeping my eye out for a tire. I'd like to trade Chop Wood for Whack Tire.

mattman

Post by mattman » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Me also.
two wrongs don't make a right.
But three lefts do.

slothlike

Post by slothlike » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:09 pm

Hey Mattman, I got my tire. I had a blowout this weekend and had to get a new set, so I asked to keep one. The manager looked at me weird until I said the word sledgehammer, then he had it rolled out to me.

I've only smacked it for one workout, but it was lot of fun. A car tire is too small, it bounced around the basement; I'm going to build a frame to hold it in place. It was harder than "Chop Wood", my heart-rate was a lot higher and I could feel it a lot more in my triceps and chest. The impact also put stress on my shoulder, which kind of worries me, but it's a lot stronger since I've been shugging and doing cleans.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:09 pm

I love the idea, but it's just not practical for me.

I live in a city and don't have enough indoor space. Although our house does have a back yard of sorts (more of a back alley) the neighbors would probably think I'm crazy and call the cops -- except for our junkie neighbors in the directly abutting abandoned lot who might take matters into their own hands. :-)

Reinhard

slothlike

Post by slothlike » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:40 pm

Reinhard, I don't junkies would bother a man swinging a 20 pound hammer.

I found that if I put the tire on a rubber mat and hit it at 10 and 2 o'clock, it stays in place.

zenboar

Post by zenboar » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:04 am

I have a truck tire that I happened to find discarded in a ditch that was at the last truck stop out of town where I live. I had been looking for one, so I pulled in, hauled it out of the ditch, and stuffed it in my CRV. I figured it was win-win... I got the tire I was looking for and I repurposed a piece of garbage that had been improperly disposed. I just have to watch my hands when I roll it out into position because of the frayed steel cables in one area.

I haven't used it much lately because my current workout is a bodyweight routine that has me pretty dead by the end of about 40 minutes. But, that's MWF. I'm thinking about adding in just some casual tire-hitting Tuesdays and Thursdays if I can't bike so I can keep at it. I definitely enjoyed the benefits the conditioning provided last winter when it came time to shovel the drive.

I've also used the tire for other things like tire jumps, an obstacle for sandbag carries, and a perch for my hands doing military press so I can get a fuller range of motion.