How to report shovelglove

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Goodcooker

How to report shovelglove

Post by Goodcooker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:43 pm

I am actually going to do this! I have shared with close friends and family what I am going to do and they laugh, laugh, laugh. A shake of their heads with that "what the heck is she up to now?" look on their faces. My question is I am reporting any excercise done on a nutrition website. Guess what? Shovelglove is not a "recognized" activity. lol. How do I come up with calories burned in 14 minutes of this so I can enter it into my information? Thanks in advance for any info.

jules

Post by jules » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:56 am

That's a good question. LOL. I know that doesn't help.

It is a really, really fun exercise. I need to start up again. I was doing it regularly & I feel better when I do it.

It's more than just weightlifting. The intensity probably gives it an aerobic component. You might just have to guess -- though I would underestimate the amount rather than overestimate.

filipe

Post by filipe » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:41 am

Try clubbel.
If it doesn't appear in list, try kettlebell.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:24 pm

Yeah, I bet kettlebells would be pretty close (and mainstream enough now that it might actually show up as an option).

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:29 pm

I found kettlebell. Entered it and it claims it is 300 cals burned?? Is that possible?? No wonder I broke a sweat 4 minutes into it. lol. Usually takes me a good 15 minutes on the treadmill at a fast pace to even start feeling warm.
One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.
-Lucille Ball

slothlike

Post by slothlike » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:56 pm

I log it as Kettlebells too. The training affect is very similar.

I used MyFitnessPal to track calories for a while when I was losing weight. Based on calories in and rate of weight loss, I calculated that I was burning 250 cal per 20 minutes with either a 10# or a 12# hammer. Lots of possible error in those calculations though.

-ted

turp182

Anyone have a Bodybugg?

Post by turp182 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:08 pm

You wear it on your arm and it tracks caloric expenditures. Pretty cool to wear 24/7, sleep patterns are obvious, as well as waking periods during the night if you have them (I do).

Calorie expenditure should be clear and measurable with one.

It has a monthly fee, which isn't cool, just an idea.

blujay

Post by blujay » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:17 am

LiveStrong has "Shoveling" or "Shoveling snow", so I have used that.