Walking at work - hot weather....any tips on cooldown?

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
moonbat69

Walking at work - hot weather....any tips on cooldown?

Post by moonbat69 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:24 am

I would walk at work more (during lunch) if I had a better way of coping with the sweating and cooling down. Are there any tips for fellow office workers?

Best wishes...
moonbat69

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:06 am

1. follow the shade, even if leads you a bit out of the way
2. don't carry around heavy bags (especially backpacks -- if necessary, better to carry a backpack in your hand than on your back on a really hot day)
3. Use an anti perspirant that actually works
4. don't get overambitious. Even a 5-10 minute walk is something. You can build up a bit slowly as you build comfort (or not).
5. make a pit stop in the bathroom to assess / freshen up/ cool down before returning to your desk

Shuggernaut

Post by Shuggernaut » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:38 pm

Average daily temperatures are currently in the muggy high-70s to mid-80s here in northern Wisconsin, and I spend each of my two 15-minute breaks, as well as my 1-hour lunch break, walking. I cope with the sweat (and I do sweat, profusely!) by bringing a spare t-shirt and towel. I do a quick shirt change in the rest room, take my walk, then towel off and change back into my work shirt.

On days that I just don't feel like dealing with the heat and humidity, I still walk on the 15-minute breaks, but spend my lunch break (in front of a fan) on the stationary bike in the office's exercise room, instead. For this, having something good to read or watching Netflix on my iPad is helpful, to cope with the monotony of exercising indoors for an hour.

I also have a standing desk, and take my breakfast and lunch while I work, to reserve break times for exercising.