Flexcar or other car sharing

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
nonskanse

Flexcar or other car sharing

Post by nonskanse » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:04 pm

Anyone here use flexcar? How is it? Between 2 people my guy and I have 1 car, and if we move downtown next year parking costs an extra $150/month in a high rise (or on-street parking in Capitol Hill or Belltown. Ew).

So maybe I could get rid of my car and we could sign up for flexcar. I've seen a few parked around Seattle and a couple driving, now that I'm looking...

---
Rates - $75 first year (with application fee). $9/hr for a car, plus they pay for gas. $90/day for special cars marked with a 10 on their site, $63/day for 7's, and 45/day for 5's. And gas is paid for... so if I'm using the car to drive drive drive, even at 30mpg on the highway that's $6/hr (with $3 gas) that I'm not paying. Camping I'd have to get a 10, 7, or 5 for a long weekend of not driving a lot....

It seems sound. I repeat: Has anyone tried it!!??
"It's the perfect time of year
Somewhere far away from here"

larisa0001

Post by larisa0001 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:20 am

I use a local Philadelphia car-sharing system, and I love it. Lots more convenient than actually owning a car - if you don't drive a whole lot. I only need a car about once a month, so it works out great for me. And I get to drive a shiny new Prius. :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:25 pm

I love the idea -- but with two kids, unfortunately, owning a car is non-optional, so I can't speak from experience. There are a ton of "zipcars" as they're called here in Cambridge. People do seem to like them.

Reinhard

CharlieAngel

Post by CharlieAngel » Sat May 17, 2008 5:51 am

Never used it, but there was one parked in a spot outside my apartment in Portland, OR (it was a minivan). Got decent usage. I looked into it because I was car-less at the time, but realized everything I needed was within walking/biking distance.