Walking benchmark

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
JWL

Walking benchmark

Post by JWL » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:19 pm

I just had to post a quick note, I found this funny and a compelling image of my fitness/urban rangering issues in my lifetime.

When I was a kid, one of the many kid-crises we had to deal with was how far away the bus stop was from our house. We had to walk SO FAR! My sister and I complained about it relentlessly, until finally our mother called in and had the school board alter the bus route do drop us off closer to our house.

So this inconceivably huge distance has been a benchmark in my mind for a "good walk." But today we have wonderful tools like Gmaps Pedometer at our disposal. I use it all the time to measure the walks I take, which are typically between 1 and 4 miles, with 2-3 being the top of the bellcurve. So of course, I had to measure this distance of this old, harrowing, flat-surface walk through suburbia that endlessly tormented my childhood.

The distance?

0.2 miles. Not joking. Unreal how much our perspectives shift.... 8)
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

hikermom

Post by hikermom » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:50 pm

Oh, the things our parents put us through! Did you have to walk that 0.2 uphill both ways?

navin

Post by navin » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:15 am

... and aren't you in Maine? So it must have been in several feet of snow, too!
:)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

JWL

Post by JWL » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:07 am

heh, yes I'm in Maine now, but my childhood was spent in the wild tracts of uncharted suburbia outside Cincinnati, Ohio....

Little snow, and utterly flat, at least that walk was....

:-)
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:36 am

navin wrote:... and aren't you in Maine? So it must have been in several feet of snow, too!
:)
Ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nathan!!!
Good one!!!

Where ya been these days????

Heh heh..
Take care funny guy!
Any trips back our way this year?

Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness