First big walk.

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
srbliss

First big walk.

Post by srbliss » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:17 pm

I am considering taking the light rail to work so I can walk from the station to work. The station is 2.4 miles away from work and I wanted to see how I would feel after walking almost 5 miles in a day. I walked 3.5 miles at lunch to take care of some errends and then 2.4 miles (pushing a baby stroller) to the grocery store to pick up a few things.
I feel just fine this morning :D

Big Phil

Post by Big Phil » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:57 am

Sounds like a good plan. If you do walk 5 mile a day to and from work, with No-S, you will never have to worry about your fitness or weight again. I have been toying with the idea of selling our second car so I have to ride my bike to work everyday. I am sticking with the excuse of having to drop my son to childcare in the morning at the moment, but the logic of selling the car is compelling. A 5 mile a day walk would really get you into shape and fast!

Phil.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:31 pm

I think it's a great idea. You'll get used to the distance quick (it's far by contemporary, sedentary standards, but not by historical standards), and there's nothing like having to get somewhere to motivate you. It's like a free gym membership with a guarantee that you'll go.

Reinhard

srbliss

Post by srbliss » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:15 pm

Big Phil wrote:Sounds like a good plan. If you do walk 5 mile a day to and from work, with No-S, you will never have to worry about your fitness or weight again. I have been toying with the idea of selling our second car so I have to ride my bike to work everyday. I am sticking with the excuse of having to drop my son to childcare in the morning at the moment, but the logic of selling the car is compelling. A 5 mile a day walk would really get you into shape and fast!

Phil.
I still have to drive over to my inlaws to drop off my 8 month old son, then I would go to the light rail station. The other stop is 2.4 miles from work each way.
Steve
Started NOS and Shovelglove August 21, 2006.

Salamander

Post by Salamander » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:11 pm

When I was first married, we only had one car and worked in opposite parts of town. My husband used to drop me off at work in the morning (I worked the early shift) and I would walk the 5 miles home in the afternoon.

This was in South Carolina, where *no one* walks, except maybe people too poor to have cars, or too drunk to drive. I got a lot of weird looks, people would holler at me, throw stuff, etc., but I took comfort from the fact that I maintained a size 4 body pretty much effortlessly.

It took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to walk home; some parts of it were a little harrowing (no sidewalks in the South, for some reason), but I was rather sorry when our financial situation improved enough for me to get a car!

When we moved back to New England, my stipulation was we had to live somewhere where I could walk a lot. We lived in Boston for a year and half (great walking city) and then moved to a small town on the coast where I can walk to the market, the post office, the beach, the shops, my daughter's preschool, etc..