Happy Wanderer Discoveries

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
sibyl

Happy Wanderer Discoveries

Post by sibyl » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:52 pm

I was thinking that I could start this thread about those wonderful neat things you find when walking around, that you would have never seen if you'd been driving past. Having a purpose to walking is always great. If you're walking without an end goal in mind, then the possibility of finding new and intersting things about your hometown just might be all the 'purpose' you need, and make it less like a chore or 'exercise' and more like wandering, exploring, discovering...something fun!

For starters, for me:

One: a wonderful old church built in 1880, out of local limestone. It was originally a British Episcopalian Methodist church, as per the dedication stone (unreadable unless you got up close), and is now a Baptist church and Methodist church. It had great huge glass windows facing the street, and what looked like the original heavy wooden door and handle out front.

Two: growing between two entrances on an older single storey duplex were two trees that had grown up twisted together. They formed a knotty spiral until above the lintels, before spreading out over the roof like a crown. After seeing that I promised myself I'd bring my camera on the next stroll, because I lack the words to describe how amazing it looked.
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head".

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:28 pm

Sibyl, thanks for posting this. I think it's a great idea, both as an interesting thread, and as a motivating factor for walking: the experiential scavenger hunt.

One does see some strange things when one puts in the time and the distance. I work in a city in this industrial/bioinformatics complex in one of the most densely populated states in the union. It's about as far away from nature as one can get. One doesn't expect to see much in the way of wildlife, and I usually have to rely pretty heavily on those urban ranger metaphors mentioned in the "song." But not always: while rangering through the courtyard of one of the local biotech labs a few months ago, I walked smack into an enormous wild turkey. These are not small birds. These are not city birds. It was the size of my neighbor's golden retriever. I've only seen them in nature shows and in a light gun video game I played in Las Vegas called "turkey hunt." For a moment I thought someone's experiment must have escaped, but who does experiments on wild turkeys? Then I thought maybe from the zoo. I went the the security desk and informed the guard. "Oh, he comes around sometimes. Yeah, it's a wild turkey."
Last edited by reinhard on Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:34 pm

Reinhard:

I've never seen a wild turkey outside of a zoo before. :o That must have been amazing!

I didn't do too much walking this weekend, but I did get a workout dancing at my cousins' double 40th birthday party, and then helping friends move the next morning. I do have my next 'route' mapped out though, and this time I'm bringing my camera!
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head".

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:37 pm

Great topic Sibyl!!! I totally understand what you are saying...
Actually being in an enviornment, not just whizzing by, you also get a chance to tune in to the natural energy all around...
Why not slow down and smell the roses eh?
Peace and Love,
Deb

ps.. Reinhard, yep those turkeys are pretty wild!!! I once went to someones estate out in Sands Point which is one of the last Gold Coast refuges left on the North Shore of Long Island... I was delivering something, and heard all this noise! They had about 5 wild turkeys running around... They were loud I tell you!!! There are pheasants on Long Island, but this was a first for me and I was bowled over!
I almost didn't want to approach the house because of them! LOL.....

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:56 pm

When I went for a walk at lunch, I went up a new street and realized that my office is a lot closer to the cemetary where my paternal grandparents are buried than I thought. I only have half a hour and I knew I wouldn't be able to find them in that time frame as the cemetary is on the cusp of my walk (15 min in). However, I did find another gravestone dedicated to my great-grandparents (my grandfather's parents) and a few of their children who died young. They had dates of birth and death, causes of death, and even spelled out how old the person was when they died. It was a really neat experience and I hope to wander back that way. I don't know if I'll ever be quick enough to walk to the side of the cemetary my grandparents are on, and get back in time, but its nice to know they're close by.
Of course, the office is moving in 29 days, so I'll have to find a new route. But that will be fun on its own.

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:48 pm

Most interesting, Sibyl.

My Urban Ranger Discovery: Last evening I went on my usual Ranger Walk. I go a few blocks to where the street crosses a railroad. Raleigh's at the juncture of a few lines so there are lots of tracks there and they form a great "Y" right under the bridge with lines going west, south, and north.

I often try to go between 8:15 and 9:00 because there is an 8:45 daily train from Charlotte and I can stand on the bridge and watch it come in from a long way off. The best part is standing over it as it goes under the bridge. (But you have to figure out which way the wind is first, otherwise you may be smothered with diesel fumes from the vents on top of the engines!)

Being Amtrak, it's often not punctual -- and also my walk takes me further than the bridge, so sometimes I'm too far down the road when it comes in. But if I'm not too far away I can keep my ears pricked for the whistle and run to the bridge in time to see it. (You see that I am easily amused).

Well, last night I hit the jackpot. I was just a few hundred yards from the bridge when I heard a little far-off "toot". So I ran to the bridge (oh! it was awful, last night it was about 90 degrees and very humid, the sidewalks are deserted even in the evenings in this weather). I got there in time to see a far-off headlamp on a very slow incoming train.

BUT as it came in it turned out to be a fully loaded freight train with five engines and maybe a hundred cars creaking ponderously along. The cars were full of crushed rock and coal -- no wonder it was so slow. I love looking down into the loads and seeing the tops of the cars. A view one rarely gets.

Now, as if that weren't treat enough, when the last car went under the bridge I saw ANOTHER headlamp in the distance. Aha! the 8:45! oh goody, this is too much joy for one evening - LOL. Now at the very moment I had that thought, I heard a strange mechanical whining down below by the tracks. It was the switching mechanism moving the rails over to send the passenger train on the proper track. I had always wondered about how this operates, and I finally got to see the switchover between two close trains no less - one was sent off to the north, the other to the south. The track-switching part was the maraschino on the sundae, I guess you could say.

The 8:45 "Carolinian" came in, relatively full of passengers (but of course it only has two cars) and I headed home, having achieved the highest pinnacle of my weird little hobby!
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:47 am

I love the stories about the train and the cemetery!

My contribution to this thread:

My husband and I had an interesting Urban Ranger adventure some weeks back. We had to take my car in for a little work, and there was going to be a 2 to 3 hour wait, so we decided to get our steps in by walking along the highway. Then, because traffic was so heavy, we turned up a side street into a residential neighborhood, and discovered, much to our surprise, there was a whole forest with walking paths winding through it. It was cool and quiet on a hot summer day. We really enjoyed our walk that day!

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:51 pm

I haven't been rangering much, aside from parking in the back of the lot and other such things, because its too flipping humid, hot, and smoggy. There are warnings everyday not to go outside unless you have to due to the smogginess. Ugh. :x I wish I had a job near where I lived so I didn't have to drive everyday, and could therefore make that much more of a small contribution to less smog.

However, the other day I was forced to go to the mall (I hate malls) because that's where my dentist is. I parked at the one end of the mall, furthest away from the dentist, and walked. After the visit, I wandered a full circuit around the (nice and air-conditioned) mall before heading back to my car and back to work.

While I was there, I ran into some friends of mine I hadn't seen in a while, not once, but twice! We had a loverly conversation and touched base. It was really nice.

I'm considering going back to the dreaded mall on Saturday so I can do another walk-about. I just won't bring any money, credit cards, debit cards, or items to barter. :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:06 pm

Hi Sibyl! So glad you had that nice encounter! That is great... I love when that kind of thing happens...
As for smog contributions, the best you can do, second to not driving, is maintain your car and make sure you do tuneups and stuff when you should... I look forward to the day when we actually have a choice for cars which utilize solar, electric etc.. and aren't just available to look at at the local "Car Expo" at some crazy price...
Did you ever read Reinhards story about the man who stopped driving (and talking?)
Enjoy your next Walkabout!
Love,
8) Deb

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:26 pm

Hi Sibyl, Reinhard, et al :wink:
Well, that old saying about, sometimes you miss the most obvious answers, even when they are right infront of your face...
I had a great idea for a walk today...
I live directly behind a huge atheletic field, which has two baseball areas, and about 20 tennis courts along the long side, but the main field is usually used for soccer teams to practice... I'm gonna clock the actual length later with the tripodometer in my car...
I thought it would be too boring to just "walk around in circles", but it wasn't bad at all, and I wasn't walking in circles....
I'm going to put this on another thread now, in favor of "real walks..."
Love,
Deb

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:48 pm

So today I walked to my (first ever) writer's group meeting. I didn't know it, but downtown was hosting an "Art on the Street" event. There were little tents and booths everywhere with paintings, carvings, photographs, hand-crafts, fibre art, jewelry, etc., etc. I couldn't spend much time looking before hand, because I wanted to get to the meeting, but afterwards I wandered all around downtown looking at things. Even though it was raining (one poor guy had to keep sponging off his painting, that wasn't quite far enough under the canopy). Then I took the river trail back to my apartment, and saw a whole gaggle of Canadian Geese. Some of them were eating the grass, but four or five were 'standing guard' over the eaters. It was really neat.

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:56 am

I saw a shrimp bee getting nectar at some zinnias today on my ranger tour. These are really cool insects (I believe they are actually moths) with clear wings that never stop whirring and a fuzzy velvet back like a bumlybee and a kind of lobster tail. The whole bee is about an inch long. Looks kind of like a miniature hummingbird.

ClickBeetle

Giant hackberry tree

Post by ClickBeetle » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:57 am

On one of my urban ranger outings I have discovered a monster hackberry tree (actually earlier this spring, but I just thought of it again). I checked the state and national records online and it appears to be larger and taller than either of those. I have a picture, but posting it here is probably beyond my capabilities.

I may just have to nominate it for one of the Champion Tree registries (there are state, national, and local lists maintained by the tree geeks :) ).

It has got to be the biggest hackberry tree in Raleigh, anyway.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:19 am

Betsy!!!
Remember "The Lorax".....

Anyway.... Trees rule!!!
I have quite a few great huge ones near our cottage..
I believe they have a special energy that really makes this place special..

Hackberry tree sounds pretty neat!
Glad you are having fun being a tree geek!
Love,
8) Deb

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:12 am

Tonight was very clear and dry and I went for a Ranger walk and as I got to my bridge I saw two bright planets clustered near the crescent Moon. The Moon was also lit by earthshine. The sky was still lavender-blue and there were no other stars visible -- very pretty.

The planets were Venus and Jupiter. I forgot that there was an evening conjunction today -- it was just dumb luck that I went for a walk at the right time on the right night.

I love it when the planets are clustered or you can see them lined up in the ecliptic. It gives you a real sense of being in a solar system.

There should be pictures posted at www.Spaceweather.com.
Here is a good one.
Last edited by ClickBeetle on Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:51 am

I think, from wandering all over Vancouver, that there are more crows there than pigeons or seagulls.
Highlights:
*finding a home-made 'ident card' for a "Private Eye Super Spy License" for a little girl named Cecila. She'd drawn a badge and a picture and everything on it. Sadly, it was lying on the sidewalk. I hope she found it again.
*getting stopped by a young boy on a scooter (his parents were quite close by watching him play) who flashed his plastic 'police badge' at me and demanded I stop. When I did, put up my hands, and asked if I was arrested, he put down his badge and in a very concerned voice said "its okay, I was only kidding!"
*finding blackberry bushes on the sides of paths in the park, with blackberries free for the picking (and eating, sun-warm)
*finding the dog-only beach. Those were some of the happiest dogs I've seen in a long, long while.
*coming across a rather large cat crouching among the tall grass in a park (just a Maine Coon or something, but he was having fun playing 'lion in the grass')
*the guy painting landscapes
*'Tara + Brad' carved into a rock face
*people fishing off the seawall

There's more, but I'm already late for work...

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:04 pm

Wow Betsy!!! What a great pic!!!!
Thanks!
Love,
8) Deb