Gmap Pedometer

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
Justin

Gmap Pedometer

Post by Justin » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:05 pm

Have any of you seen this?

http://www.sueandpaul.com/gmapPedometer/

It's a nice little interface that allows you to calculate how far you've walked. It's built on top of maps.google.com. Basically, just clicking "Start Recording" and then double-click way-points and it'll mark them. Also, if you don't live in Hoboken, you'll need to click the link on the left side of the page to zoom the map out.

According to this, I walk about 2.25 miles round-trip to work. I also walk the four flights of stairs rather than take the elevator.

J

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:57 pm

This is amazing.

My walk to work is 1.1277587970130747 miles.

So 2.25 miles round trip, plus lunch walks. Wow, same as yours, Justin (but in the opposite direction).

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:33 pm

Hey Justin, I probably won't be walking on Frank Sinatra way, any time in the near future (no matter how much I love old blue eyes..)
How can I get a map of my area? I couldn't figure that part out...
Looks like fun so far...
Write back when you have a free moment..
Thanks!
8) Deb

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:25 pm

There's a link on the left side of the page that says "Click here if you don't live in Hoboken". That'll reset the map to the whole US. You can then interact with the map by clicking and dragging and also using the +/- slider on the map. That make sense?

J

boxrgirl

Post by boxrgirl » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:14 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote: How can I get a map of my area? I couldn't figure that part out...
Looks like fun so far...
Write back when you have a free moment..
Thanks!
8) Deb
:shock:
--
Bookmark & start here: http://tinyurl.com/al373

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:37 pm

Those of you who haven't should really look at this. It's not as complicated as it looks at first glance, and it's amazingly cool. People used who used to plan their walks/jogs/bikerides around limited paths with known distances can now choose paths solely on the basis of pleasure, beauty and convenience: google knows all distances.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:43 pm

Thanks Justin! :D
Sorry I didn't write sooner.. I've been a bit preoccupied these days...
Love,
Deb

ps.. Hi Reinhard! :wink:

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:47 pm

I like it because, unlike those mapping thingies designed for driving, this one is "as the crow flies," which is helpful for me in DC, because sometimes I cut across stuff that doesn't have a road (like around the tidal basin and various stuff around the Mall and Capitol).

It reminds of the Apple IIC (or was it IIE?) program with the turtle..."goto..."

RoryKirke

Post by RoryKirke » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:09 am

Everyday life is the story of everyone in which everybody faces different difficulties in his or her daily routine life. For the students of australian assignment writers there is a forum to discuss about everyday system problems and their solution by people.
n/a